Anyone had luck on winter Kings in Syd Harbour?

mattyg_16

Hey guys,

I have been fishing Syd Harbour quite regularly this winter, and I have had a few outings trying to target the "big" winter Kings that hang around. I havnt had any trouble finding squid but I am yet to see any signs of Kings. Everytime I target them I end up with Salmon or Tailor. I am mainly targeting the lower Harbour areas including Middle Harbour. Just curious to see if anyone else has had any luck?

Matt

Probably not what your after but i've been getting a few rats up the back of middle harbour between roseville and bantry bay. Only one legal so far but at least 5 undersized fellas too. On a mix of unweighted baits and 100mm wrigglers. Heads are probably your best bet for a BIG winter king. Spit might have a few as well. You will have a lot of by-catch though...

Cheers, Tom

Interesting, I always thought the rats head offshore during winter. I would have thought the water temps in the Harbour would be too low to sustain their high metabolism unless the pretty much go into shutdown mode....but I guess there is plenty of food around anyway. Did you get them around structure or were they just sitting in deep water?

Matt

Interesting, I always thought the rats head offshore during winter. I would have thought the water temps in the Harbour would be too low to sustain their high metabolism unless the pretty much go into shutdown mode....but I guess there is plenty of food around anyway. Did you get them around structure or were they just sitting in deep water?

Matt

Mainly structure. I did read an article not long ago that said Bantry Bay is the spot for winter kings in the harbour? Could explain my recent catches... I've got 2 at the boatramp, 1 near Bantry and 2 drifting outside roseville marina. All are between 55cm and 64cm. Still a great tussle on light gear!

Edited by mack attack 79

Hi there, im new to chasing kings and jewies. Can you suggest a reliable spot to get yakkas and squid in the middle harbour area and the techniques you use? Thanks

Edited by adzo64

Hi there, im new to chasing kings and jewies. Can you suggest a reliable spot to get yakkas and squid in the middle harbour area and the techniques you use? Thanks

Roseville has a few yakkas and squid but in summer. Handlines with small baits for yakkas but squid aren't exactly reliable here. Only got a few over the last few years. Spit for yakkas and squid. Any technique really. Places like Balmoral and Clontarf can fire too!

Cheers, Tom