far north QLD

andy351

a mate and i went for a holiday up to port douglas,our girlfriends came aswell so it wasnt all fishing.

we had a couple of days booked on a boat to go out and chase GTs but the wind put a end to those plans. :thumbdown:

but we still managed a few days on the mossman river.

i got one good barra on live bait which was great,a big tick of the wish list,my mate was able to land two great barras,

we also caught a few other species like small queenies,small fingermarks and small cods(spot the theme)

and we came across a school of tarpons which was great fun on light gear lots of huge leaps from the water they pretty much smashed anything we put in front of them.but they were hard to land but you would drop one then another one would grab the lure or soft plastic one even jumped in to the boat from about a metre away.

we also spent a couple of nights fishing in the harbour at port douglas which only really resulted in more small fish besides the barra i lost right near the shore :1crybaby:

but overall a good trip spotted a few crocs around the place and the weather was good besides the wind but it was good to get away from the cold here in canberra.

post-22455-010999000 1345269979_thumb.jpg

Well done on the barra mate! They tend to shut down at this time of year in the rivers due to low water temps so you did well. Tarpon are great fun on light gear! Never get sick of them! How big were the barra? Looks around 65cm..

Cheers, Tom

cheers mate

yeah 62cm not huge but still not a bad first one my mates ones was 65 and 70.

they didnt put up huge fight and the guide said that was due to the cold water,

the tarpon was the most fun i have ever had on light gear so far

post-22455-061419700 1345282950_thumb.jpg

Edited by andy351