Fishfinder wanted

adjustedpete

Im in the market for a new fishfinder and wondered if anyone can to give me some advice on their experience with the newer models. I am willing to pay up to $350. I have done a bit of research and am leaning towards a lowrance MK5 pro with a mono screen or the DSI model. The info i researched online seemed to state that they are all basically the same and it was the bells and whistles that raised the cost. Ok, so what bells and whistles are essential, remembering that I fish mainly pittwater and middle harbour (the heads on a good day)with the odd sojourn into botany bay.I would like down scan so that means a split screen I s'pose. I have a 14ft tinnie and I will target anything. Any advice will be most welcome

Im in the market for a new fishfinder and wondered if anyone can to give me some advice on their experience with the newer models. I am willing to pay up to $350. I have done a bit of research and am leaning towards a lowrance MK5 pro with a mono screen or the DSI model. The info i researched online seemed to state that they are all basically the same and it was the bells and whistles that raised the cost. Ok, so what bells and whistles are essential, remembering that I fish mainly pittwater and middle harbour (the heads on a good day)with the odd sojourn into botany bay.I would like down scan so that means a split screen I s'pose. I have a 14ft tinnie and I will target anything. Any advice will be most welcome

Hey Pete , have seen the Lowrance Elite 4xDSI for under $300 .BCF just had them all on special and evilbay online shop also has them

Its got a 3.5 inch screen , thats a lil less than the Elite 5 range but all the DSI features and so on

Edited by KILLER

My ten cents worth is:

1. Look for a unit with a screen resolution of at least 480 x 480 pixels - the more the better.

2. Colour craps all over black and white. I've had both. Colour screens, in my experience, are much easier to read in bright sunlight. Some of the newer black and whites may be better in this regard now.

3. You can save significant dollars by purchasing on-line from Asia.

I have a Lowrance HDS5 combo unit that I purchased from an online shop store in Hong Kong. I'm very happy with it. They are, however, a fair bit more than $350.

You can check out the full range of Lowrance products here. http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Marine/

Arthur