Live bait tank for the Yak

Guest leisureman

Guest leisureman

Hi Raiders,

Due to lack of room on the yak have been toying with the idea of trailing a large bucket with lid inside a car tyre tube or similar that can just be pulled in when you need the bait. Also small holes could be added to aerate on the move? Keen to hear other peoples ideas.Also a bit reluctant to carry a berley bag as i will be fishing some sharky areas...any thoughts? Cheers.

Guest leisureman

Thanks Brickman,

A little worried about having the catch hanging in the water as may attract a Bull shark or two. I will be fishing areas where they hang out. Going to get a dry bag or cooler set up for the catch but dont usually take many as not a big fish eater. Just seen another video with a similar idea with the live bait hanging in the water...might just trail it so out of bite distance lol. Just looking for options to cut down weight on the yak.

Guest leisureman

Hi Garry,

Also noticed the Stainless advert.PM me some details as i sell & install Shade Sails and similar products. Cheers!

Sounds like it would work mate. Another option is just an ordinary keeper net. You'd probably have to find one with softer mesh though as you don't want yakkas and squid being damaged. When you say you'll be fishing in bull shark waters are you referring to upper Middle Harbour? If so bull sharks aren't the only big sharks up there. Between January and March you get sizeable tiger sharks (4m+) heading up into the system. This isn't necessarily a bad thing as fish like cobia and kingfish often flock around the sharks. Seen a few in middle harbour as far up as the first bend after the roseville bridge. I wouldn't worry about the sharks though... Most of the time they won't come near you..

Cheers, Tom

Guest leisureman

Cheers Tom,

I like that...."most of the time" lol. I used to live at Gwandalan on Lake Macquarie for a while and know all the good spots through experience. Been Bulls & hammers up there at the moment chasing the Tailor & Salmon.Dont know much about the Harbour and surrounds so every outing is a lesson learned for next time. Mainly chasing monster flathead and will enjoy the by catches that come from that! My PB is 73cm but lost a whopper (estimated 110 -120 cm & thought was a Wobbegong at first) right next to the boat after not replacing my trace after the earlier 6. Happy to show you around the Lake and a few spots one day, even the Bass out here, and get some of your Harbour knowledge? Cheers Tom.