Muscled out of my spot

sam_chamoun93

So this afternoon I fished Little Bay with 2 friends, the area know as the gutter. We got there about 3pm with the intentions of having our lines in the water by quarter past. Blah blah blah....we didn't end up with lines in the water until 4. We were about 45 mins in, a couple of bites, when group of fellas with rods came down to our spot. There arsed around for a few minutes setting up rigs and looking for spots and I asked them how they were doing. Between their atrocious excuse for english and their native language mutterings to each other, I figured they had been lucky on the fish the previous week at the spot we were fishing. I wished them good luck, and cast back out into the wash.

They moved about 5 metres away from us, and cast their own rigs in. What happened next, I could not believe. My friends stepped back from the ledge to gather our stuff because there were a few people there now, and cast by cast, the other fisherman encroached on where we were fishing. When I reeled in, I realised they were standing bloody shoulder to shoulder with me. Fair enough I thought. I have read a thread in here that states that experienced fishermen can fish shoulder to shoulder without tangling lines, I'm an awful fisherman, but I'm sure I'll manage this I thought.

I re-baited and set up to cast. The fella to the right cast straight ahead, then to my amazement, the fella on my left cast to the right side too!!! WHAT THE FRIGGIN HELL. B**TARD!!!! It left me literally no room to cast at all. BULLS**T I thought. I picked up my gear and left before I threw a cunji at one of them.

The worst thing is (any of you that fish the gutter will understand) that there are 2 goddamn sides to the place. And being dead low tide, the other side was practically dry. AND is actually better for fishing.

My mates were hardly dressed for fishing out in the bay so they were more than glad to leave the fishing to these un-Raider like fellas, (For fear of being banned I won't comment on their nationality) but I think I need new friends who actually enjoy :1fishing1:

Sure its wrong but your going to get that sometimes... even boat fishing... i have had boats position themselves between me and a school of salmon busting up before. The annoying thing is they never know what they're doing and end up spooking the fish... did you give them a piece of you mind?

That sucks i think we all know what natioanlity they could be. you should have battled it out and kept tangling till they left

If you're thinking Asian, you're wrong hahaha. Actually, the best talks i've had have been with Chinese fishermen.

@ Mack Attack; I got the hell out of there before :au: STRAYA MATE :boot: Too close to the water to risk any silly stuff like that.

Also, the angel ring there was missing. Vandalism? Not sure if there is any place to report it.

Nah another nationality, I'm not familiar with fish raider rules so I won't say it....

It's a shame but they usually do it because they out number you, on their own they are like kittens.

You probs did the best thing, not worth getting belted over

That sucks mate, sorry to hear that happened to you.

Unfortunately it gets like that at some fishing spots, and it does seem that courtesy lacks more so from ethnic groups ( ethnic myself ), i can see it in peoples eyes when they rock up with rods in one hand, bucket and landing net in the other eyeing out the gap between your rods, thankfully my 120 kg build makes people think twice.

But whilst having a chat about this subject at work, some one pointed out to me, and this only applies to some Asian groups, because they originate from a country where what is deemed to be your personal space is much smaller than what we would class as normal, they are seriously oblivious to the fact it's bad etiquette to do so.

I have had my own personal experiences at Clifton gardens Warf where territorial disputes have occurred, the worst of it was... Got there at 3am with a mate to catch yakkas and squid to have out before sunrise. Just before sunrise all livies out, a guy walk towards the gap between my rods with his rod cocked and bail arm open, I politely approached him and said " buddy I've got lives out there swimming around " and he himself was casting out a yakka, he replies, " relax it'll be ok ", I say " ok then ", so old mate casts away out and waddaya know, his yakkas gone and collected one of my lines, I gently Leaned toward his reel and snipped the line off at the spool, about 15 minutes later he wondered back over to discover there was nothing attached to the end of his line.

There's 2 types of people in this world, the ones saying " good on ya " and the ones saying " there's no room for that sort of behavior "

Which one are you?

Fishingphase

That sucks mate, sorry to hear that happened to you.

Unfortunately it gets like that at some fishing spots, and it does seem that courtesy lacks more so from ethnic groups ( ethnic myself ), i can see it in peoples eyes when they rock up with rods in one hand, bucket and landing net in the other eyeing out the gap between your rods, thankfully my 120 kg build makes people think twice.

But whilst having a chat about this subject at work, some one pointed out to me, and this only applies to some Asian groups, because they originate from a country where what is deemed to be your personal space is much smaller than what we would class as normal, they are seriously oblivious to the fact it's bad etiquette to do so.

I have had my own personal experiences at Clifton gardens Warf where territorial disputes have occurred, the worst of it was... Got there at 3am with a mate to catch yakkas and squid to have out before sunrise. Just before sunrise all livies out, a guy walk towards the gap between my rods with his rod cocked and bail arm open, I politely approached him and said " buddy I've got lives out there swimming around " and he himself was casting out a yakka, he replies, " relax it'll be ok ", I say " ok then ", so old mate casts away out and waddaya know, his yakkas gone and collected one of my lines, I gently Leaned toward his reel and snipped the line off at the spool, about 15 minutes later he wondered back over to discover there was nothing attached to the end of his line.

There's 2 types of people in this world, the ones saying " good on ya " and the ones saying " there's no room for that sort of behavior "

Which one are you?

Fishingphase

Thats Hilarious mate, would have loved to see his face after that

I'm of Asian background and when I get groups of guys trying to muscle in my spot I start doing the beginner fisherman act. Casting and accidentally flip he bail arm back just as I am about to release. Yanking lures or rigs out of the water when it is just at the waters edge sending the lure flying over my head. Surprising how people avoid your space for fear of a hook in their face.

Fishingphase that's a mighty interesting way of looking at it. But it really does make some sense.

Fair enough if there is limited space, but the whole reason why I was surprised is that they practically had so much more room to themselves and then they camp right up next to us. I think by our age as well, they thought we don't have a bloody clue what we were doing. Which mostly we don't ;) But experience shouldn't dictate that..

I know its not a great solution, but maybe try fish first light at dawn. Most land based places I fish at dawn doesn't have many people around. Otherwise, I'm sorry to say but you're fighting a losing battle. What I mean is, you just can't get through to those types of people, and its not worth giving them your piece of mind either, in case they are crazy.

Oh and FYI, I am of asian background as well, and I sort of do get offended by these posts, but I understand the intention. I don't think it should be targeted to ethnic people, it should be more targeted to "fishing etiquette", or "etiquette" in general. It's clear that in other countries, even non 3rd world, their etiquette is different to ours.

The poster has already stated that the people involved were NOT of Asian background.

I agree with The Incredible Hull. It should be about etiquette & not what race people are

if they are rude & inconsiderate.

Keep this post about etiquette only please.

Any more racial implications will see this topic closed & further actions taken.

Cheers,

Grant.

That is disgusting behaviour.

I think you did the right thing in packing up and going.. safety first.

If that's the level of respect they felt appropriate after you were friendly towards them, I can only imagine what they'd do if they thought you were in their way.

Fortunately for you, you were able to leave them behind.. hopefully to never see them again... they'll be stuck with the pleasure of their own company for the rest of their lives. ***kers.

Guest leisureman

That is very wrong! Next time take a knife to their lines and cut them all off!And speak up more, even if they don't understand. Its all about respect & i know i can make my opinions very clear to anyone despite language barriers. If they are threatening you, then pass their rego on to crimestoppers which is linked with this site now i think? Or just call fisheries, maybe they can get caught with undersize fish or no licenses and get hefty fines.

That really sux and I know exactly what your talking about !

I had a situation once down in Wollongong of the lighthouse !

Me n a mate was fishing there from about 11pm till around 8am n the only reason we left was because of the atrocious behavior and etiquette of these fisher people !

Basically we fished the point of the break wall for hours having fun on sambos and tailor n slowly collecting lives to put out at first light ! As we put out our live baits 3 fisherman come down rods and gear in hand ready to play, anyways they started fishing about 20m away from us which was fine we all had plenty of room to cast and what not, also when fishing ontop of the rocks on the breakwall it can be dangerous so u do need that Lil extra space to move ! Anyways couple of minits in old mate n his crew are now about 5m away, anyways I've looked yep don't care still have enough room !! About 10mins later a float rig shoots straight past my head missing me by cm''s !! I was like WTF turned to see the guy standing about 50cm away from me !! I look at him like mate are you kidding me there's only 5 anglers on this whole rock wall n u come stand right next to me! So I turned n said "mate, honestly you just missed my head with your rig, can you please be careful when you cast" I didn't tell him to move its not my place to it is a public rock wall ! Anyways 15mins go by n he brings his rig in to rebait n cast out again !! At this point I'm playing a decent sambo on 6lb gear having a great time when WHACK!! "AHH F#*K, OWOWOW" I scream ! This idiot has done the same thing n manage to hook me in the back of the neck at this stage !! My mate comes over cuts his line n gives me a hand at pulling the hooks out ! 5 mins in we get it out and this c*#k of an angler didn't even say sorry or help with removing the hooks, he was too busy rerigging ! Anyways hooks out I pick up my 7 foot solid steel gaf with super sharp hook n I start walking over to him "yelling oi WTF did I tell you, now your gonna cop it!!" let's jus say I've never seen 3 anglers pack gear n scuttle off the rock wall so fast in my life! But then again I was a murderous rampage by this time, like hell, I just copped a bloody hook to the neck even after explaining can u please be careful when casting !

All in all some people are just c*#ks and there's nothing you can do about it, they have no respect for others and no etiquette let alone sympathy even tho he's the reason I had blood gushing outta my neck !!

So just be careful when your out bud, there are some low life's out there !

Rant over,

Jez

I guess it's just the case of few bad apples. Buts it's good to see that there are still plenty of fishermen out there with the courtesy to respect and userstand fishing etiquette.

As I said in one of my replies, there are some terribly nice fisher folk out there, who are more than willing to share spots, and even share some knowledge or decent conversation. THESE for me are the most enjoyable fishing sessions.