Saturday and Sunday middle harbour

Reesn

I'll keep it quick and simple. Threw the boat in at Roseville on both Saturday and Sunday around 5am. Armed with pillies,squid and we picked up some live bait on the way. We went to

Seaforth bluff - caught nothing

Spit bridge- caught nothing

North head- caught nothing

Wedding cakes- caught nothing

And 10 other places for a quick bash. We noticed some surface action between the heads. But it was way to windy to get a good cast amongst it.

Managed one 75cm Salmon on a live bait in two sessions ,12 hours of fishing. I'll be back out there this weekend to try my luck again.

Has any one else had any thoughts on the harbour at the moment.

Thanks.

Hey Orange peel,

You must be a strong bloke if you can just 'throw' the boat in.

Most mere mortals have to slide it off the trailer ! :1prop:

OK - apologies for taking the mickey...now to the more serious stuff...

I find that in winter, if I don't burley I will likely catch nothing.

The burley has to be oily / fatty to excite the fish.

Fish need to pile on the weight in winter to build the fat layer to protect them from the cold water.

If the fish are distracted by chasing baitfish, burley would not work - only lures or bait matching-the-hatch, cast into the bust-up.

I would go to a likely spot, burley as heavily as I dare and fish baits at various levels - see what comes by.

Something always does.

That is my winter approach...

Tony

Not much for me either on Sunday. This was the 1st time out in 5 months.

Headed out in the 4.3m stacer early into the Bay. 1 tailor and 3 hours of my eyebrows being blown off. Headed up the Georges to bring the boat back to Oatley Bay. Stopped across from Bald Face just to throw a line. The wind dropped off and I started to get a few bites. Pulled in a few bream in 90 minutes (just legal). Had to head home as they fired (work committments) so send them back to catch another day.

Flano

Mate this time of year is probably the hardest time to catch anything. Agree about burley being required. Other than that it's chase some salmon or bream. Night time try for a Jew. By October things will be picking up across the board and time to get serious. I reckon this time of year is good to get the boat out, serviced and fix up any little issues ready for action. I noticed on my boat after sitting around most of winter my bait tank pump was a bit dodgy and my white nav light had rusted out. Easy to fix and needed soon when time to get amongst em. Nothing worse than having boat issues when the action is hot and you are sitting at home reading about it.

Cheers

Mike

Completely agree about holding off a little until October-November... When the kings come in you'll have a lot more fun. Even if you just want a few bream and flathead, the warmer months seem to be easiest... Nothing to say that its not worth grabbing some livies and fishing them amongst the moorings for john dory, salmon and large tailor.. BURLEY IS A MUST.

Cheers, Tom