Fishing/Family compromise

35R

I realise this is THE perenial chestnut of a question BUT times change and conventional thinking is as fluid as the new models arriving every other month.

The boats on my short list currently (in no particular order of preference) are:

1. Touranment 1900/2000

2. Seafarer 6.2 Vanquish (yes i know, haines etc)

3. Evolution 550/2

I would be interested in thoughts from current and/or prospective owners, not only of the above three models buy any in the same vicinity. Perhaps I should be looking at other brands/models too. I'll be doing 75% fishing (of which is split between lake/estuary, inshore and offshore) and 25% family excursions. Ideally, the BMT package needs to be under 2T.

If anyone has got a fantastic deal lately (in NSW) i would love to hear about it (PM would be best).

Reading the latest trailerboat i see the 2012 awards are imminent, anyone seen the results yet?

Cheers!

Duncan

Probably better suited to lake and estuary work but I love my set up that I got last year Stratos 486SF......Front and rear casting decks, live well, 150 optimax, 70 lb elecrtic, side imaging sounder, single axle alloy trailer....then on the family front removal ski pole, removable bimini, under floor storage for wake boards or ski's and throw a reasonable wake too....and the Missus hair doesn't get messed up cause she can sit behind a windscreen.....See link below....

Suits us to a tee but no good offshore, too low profile.....

Stratos 486SF

Good luck with your quest for a crossover!!!! It took me about 2years to find exactly what I was looking for.....

Edited by Poddy Trapper

Probably better suited to lake and estuary work but I love my set up that I got last year Stratos 486SF......Front and rear casting decks, live well, 150 optimax, 70 lb elecrtic, side imaging sounder, single axle alloy trailer....then on the family front removal ski pole, removable bimini, under floor storage for wake boards or ski's and throw a reasonable wake too....and the Missus hair doesn't get messed up cause she can sit behind a windscreen.....See link below....

Suits us to a tee but no good offshore, too low profile.....

Stratos 486SF

Good luck with your quest for a crossover!!!! It took me about 2years to find exactly what I was looking for.....

Cheers mate, interesting boat! perfect for lake/esturary and maybe some bay.

Hi, to your list I would add the Haines Hunter 560C-LOA is really 5.9M and personally I have been in all of those boats you list-when the Seafarer model was called something else and a shame they put a name like Seafarer to that hull-but that is for another day and the HH is a superior boat to the others and as for deals I have a very well tricked up 560C in stock at present that is going to be sold at my cost price which will save you thousands.

If interested swing by and have a close look because this model is hard to beat for ride, build quality, resale and room.

Cheers,

Huey.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well i went to take a look at the Lewis 590WA, great layout for what it is, huge cab considering the walk-around config. Space may be a little constrained if you want to fish more than two comfortably though.

Huey I will come see you about the HH's - hopefully next week.

Meanwhile here are some others I have physically looked at

1. Evolution 550/2

Possibly the most efficient in terms of interior space, at least to the eye anyway. A few dealers offering cut-price deals online, but when you call they don't have them in stock.. and try to sell you other boats. Looks like it would take months to get one regardless. I just don't want to wait until March next year.

2. Cruise Craft 530 (new) or 575 (2nd hand)

Impressive finish, good layouts. The 575 on the trailer may be pushing my luck with towing, the 530 looks fantastic but is a little constrained with space. Obviously CC have great reputation with handling etc.

3. Trophy 1800WA

There is a new one (2010 model) available quite cheap. Layout for fishing with walk-around (for an 18') is impressive, the best I've seen. A few sticking points though: how would it handle open water (read reports that suggest they bang a bit given hull) plus why does this boat not have an anchor locker nor livewells? I guess it's a yank thing with this 'tiddler' sized boat.

4. Trophy 1900 Pro

Burger with the lot but probably weighs too much for my family car (2100kg limit)

5. Baysport range

A little basic but reflected in price, good value. Nothing about them excites me though.

6. Whittley

Obviously very family oriented - too much of a caravan on water for us

7. Haines Signature 540F and 640F and 575RF.

Had a very quick look at these yesterday / still need to research. The 575RF is obviously a new design / fishing focused but probably (just) ok for the odd family cruise/blat around the bay too - finish is excellent.

8. SeaHunt 207LE

Wow, what a layout. Front bow rider yet apparently a decent open water boat i am told? Hard to find info on these online as not many aussie owners it seems. Probably the best family/fisho compromise i have seen.

How did you guys filter down your list?

I am finding it almost too hard.

Any opinions on the above boats greatly appreciated.

Well we ended up deciding on the Sea Hunt 207 LE Dual Console.

2nd hand 2010 model with 175 Suzuki 4.

For my money the best compromise family/fishing i have seen.

Great layout, bow rider for family fun, good fishing capability, seemed to ride well on the test, and under the 2T tow mark too.

post-23616-063490100 1348972385_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...