Squid Jigs

ashisnothereman

Hi guys,

Ive been having a massive dry period when it comes to hooking big squid. I have been using orange yo-zuri 1 with clear base, 1 with a red base and one with a polyhedron reflective base (called flash dancer). I also have a yamashita warm jacket in pilchard. I have caught calamari several times before, but i have lost the jigs that did the damage :ranting2: .

There's been countless times when people next to me hook up and I get nothing.

I use braid and a long fluro leader with your average hops, retrieve, sink method. I have witnessed several times people using straight monofilament and hook up.

Lately I seem to be catching octopus and cuttle fish with the odd arrow squid.

Are my jigs blanks? can the squid see my braid? or should i accept that this is what fishing is about and im just unlucky atm.

any tips are appreciated thanks!

There are many factors that could contribute to not getting the squid but personally I cannot get past the orange warm jacket Yamashita's in 2.5g, they are yet to fail me on squid. I think they glow in the dark and also have a UV coating. I have given yo-zuri's a go but I get frustrated and go straight back to the Yamashita's.

Matt

There are many factors that could contribute to not getting the squid but personally I cannot get past the orange warm jacket Yamashita's in 2.5g, they are yet to fail me on squid. I think they glow in the dark and also have a UV coating. I have given yo-zuri's a go but I get frustrated and go straight back to the Yamashita's.

Matt

cheers mate, yea i have noticed that more people are out using yamashitas rather than yo-zuris. I used to have a bunch, and the exact one you described. may have to go spend some money then.

Matt

A big +1 for the orange 2.5g Yamashita.

In the end a lot of factors could be playing a part. My first thought is if you are getting a few octopus are your jigs to big? i usually fish between 1.8g-3g depending upon the target squid size and conditions of where you are fishing.

Also, what weight leader? I find 8lb is perfect to not spook the squid but still get your jig back more often than not from snagged ribbon weed/kelp/etc.

At the end of the day though squid more than fish seem to come back to luck on what they feel like going for on the day.

Rich

A big +1 for the orange 2.5g Yamashita.

In the end a lot of factors could be playing a part. My first thought is if you are getting a few octopus are your jigs to big? i usually fish between 1.8g-3g depending upon the target squid size and conditions of where you are fishing.

Also, what weight leader? I find 8lb is perfect to not spook the squid but still get your jig back more often than not from snagged ribbon weed/kelp/etc.

At the end of the day though squid more than fish seem to come back to luck on what they feel like going for on the day.

Rich

thanks mate. i use from 2.0 up to 3.25 depending on depth. and a 7lb yamashita brand fluro (made purely for egi jigging). Now that I think about it octopus are taking the 3.25 jig but tiny little arrows have no problem going for this jig as well haha. i will give yamashita jigs a go. the warm jacket technology makes sense with the cool water. i did pick up a book when i first started out titled "cephalopod behaviour" and all species are sensitive to heat. yamashita are onto something.

Hi ashisnotherman,

I've fished the bay on five occasions during August and caught some seriously big squid compared to my summer efforts. My count was 2, 3, 4, 8 and 0. On all occasions most sqiud were up around the kilo with two being much bigger, nearly two kilo each. I found about 4.30pm to be the peak time, didn't matter if it was high tide or low. I tried many jiggs but found the size 3 in either orange or pink (shimano sephia) to outcatch my other jigs. Violent jerks then sink time.

Cheers The President.

Hi ashisnotherman,

I've fished the bay on five occasions during August and caught some seriously big squid compared to my summer efforts. My count was 2, 3, 4, 8 and 0. On all occasions most sqiud were up around the kilo with two being much bigger, nearly two kilo each. I found about 4.30pm to be the peak time, didn't matter if it was high tide or low. I tried many jiggs but found the size 3 in either orange or pink (shimano sephia) to outcatch my other jigs. Violent jerks then sink time.

Cheers The President.

thanks mate. i do focus my squidding around sunset. i have not tried shimano jigs apart from one of the "keruma" (spelling) which did take a nice cal, lost that jig tho :(