How Bad Am I Going?

Captain Pugwash

Things have so so quiet on the fishing stories I'm resorting to sharing a story of a mate's trip that I wasn't even on! :074:

My mate Anton recently went on a bucks weekend on a yacht and slipped in a little fishing amongst the festivities.

"We hired a 50ft sailing boat from Hamilton Island for a week so fishing on a 45 degree angle wasn’t the easiest but we got to take the tender out a couple of times and did some bottom bouncing. Coral trout, cod etc. all the reef species. The two queenies were the highlight and both caught on the first day so we thought we were in for a bit of a hot bite all week. Mick caught a spotted Mackerel about 50cm long within about 5 minutes and we thought it couldn’t get any better. Then we both lobbed in a monster each (by our standards anyway) and you could have seen our smiles from the moon. The wind was howling all week so there wasn’t that much more fishing done. Lots of boozing though.

Regarding the queenies:

Eastern side of Whitsunday Island.

One on a deep fished pilchard tail, just off the bottom on the retrieve, the other on a trolled pink skirt.

Both with 5/0 or 6/0 hooks.

My one had 3 of us being towed backwards in the zodiac tender while Mick had a hell of a time bringing his in behind the yacht with wind in its sails. Great fun though. Wish the weather was a little better. I’d love to see how that place fishes in the warmer months.

I’ve attached another picture of Mick’s face after he caught his and also a shot of the fillets that we got off the Queenies for dinner that night. That fed 10 of us with heaps left over. Not bad eating fish either. The mackerel is also there.