Noosa Charter with a big "SURPRISE"

rf4@aapt.net.au

After several months of travel and my boat back in Sydney I was well overdue to get out for a fish, which I did today on a charter from Noosa. Headed out over the bar at 6am on a hot clear calm day which was very nice barely a wave breaking at the entrance, 45 min later we were at our first mark, dropped down and hardly hit the bottom when I was on, some nice weight and I was hopeful of a nice fish, lucky first drop boated a nice Red Throat Sweet Lip, followed by a big cod and endless Pearl Perch (unfortunately most undersized),a move to the next mark saw some more variety, the Perch kept coming but now there were Teraglin joined the party and I started boating double hookup keepers on every drop!!! mixed in with some small reef fish and Red Emporers.

The next mark proved to be a very interesting one indeed!!! The usual suspects kept coming onboard and a new variety joined the party and the ice box with some very nice Moses Perch adding some more red to the mix.

Now here is where it got interesting, I dropped down again and soon had weight on my line again, this time it was BIG, little did I know just how BIG!!! Captain called everyone to raise their lines to get out of the way as I started getting a bit of line back, then the mono starts heading up towards the surface and taking line, maybe a big shark says the skipper, maybe a big Cobia I thought? Captain tells me to move to the back of the boat to fight this one, on the way this thing took off and was taking line like there was no drag, when it was almost fully tightened, with smoke starting to come off the reel (literally) it didn't look good and I was soon to find out why!!! 20m behind the boat a HUGE and I mean HUGE uprising of the water, WTF was this??? then splashing as a fully grown Humpback Whale surfaced, rolled and snapped me off,hmmmmmm was not expecting that, would have liked to see the deckhand gaff that one onto the deck!!! Don't think too many people would have had the opportunity to hook a Whale on the bottom and play it to the surface!!! well maybe not hooked, I think I had a decent fish on that took off and tangled the line with the beastie, but my fishing tale will stay as hooked and played lol.

A great days fishing, also caught were Mac Tuna, big Travely, Snapper, Deep Sea Bream, Tricky Snapper and a variety of reef fish, mixed in with the Breaching Whales everwhere and freindly Dolphins.

Now for some nice big Mudcrabs just to balance out all the fish.

Interesting experience mate! I know what you mean about small pearlies. Headed out on a charter to the Barwon Banks off Noosa last year and caught at least 40 undersized pearlies... Have a go in the estuary if you get the chance. Jacks should be starting to bite and there's plenty of good bream, flathead and whiting down right at the river mouth.

Cheers, Tom

That is GOLD!!!

I'm sure we've all thought about it, but I've never heard of anyone actually hooking one!

Do Shimano make a brag mat that caters for 100m+ ?!!?

If the charter had been Japanese you could have landed it in the name of "scientific research"!!

Gotta get me some 10,000lb braid and a couple of 100/0 hooks!!!

Now that's a story to tell at the pub!!!

That is GOLD!!!

I'm sure we've all thought about it, but I've never heard of anyone actually hooking one!

Do Shimano make a brag mat that caters for 100m+ ?!!?

If the charter had been Japanese you could have landed it in the name of "scientific research"!!

Gotta get me some 10,000lb braid and a couple of 100/0 hooks!!!

Now that's a story to tell at the pub!!!

Yeah mate, sure is a story to tell the boys about, and I'm sure after a few ales I will have the whale gaffed and coming over the back of the boat!!! Even more amazing was that the line didn't snap straight away, hooked him at 60m, but was prob a minor inconvenience for it and just came to the surface and rolled to get rid of it.

PS: No whales were hurt in this fishing expedition!!! Just incase Greenpeace reads this thread LOL.