first squid off rocks

Quicksticks

Hi raiders

Had a quick flick before work and picked up one lonely squid tasted real good

Yesterday used the head for bait the conditions were perfect, and managed the biggest port Jackson I've ever seen close to a metre and round like a cow

Curios what's the biggest and where are these snapper

post-23682-043928300 1347236356_thumb.jpg

Nice squid there mate, very good effort too with the strong winds, as squid usually shut down in strong winds!

Mate the snapper were tough for us last week too, a handful of 40cm fish, not the usually large species.

One thing I noticed, there were cold currents last week and big moon phases.

Still plenty of snapper from now till Nov 2012 in close though. Berley hard!

Butch

Butch,

you appear to brain the snapper well. When you say burley hard do you use pellets or cubes? Also at what rate, a handful every five minutes or a constant flow?

I managed a red off longy three weeks ago about 38cm. First ever off there, so I want to get my rythm for long snapper

Butch,

you appear to brain the snapper well. When you say burley hard do you use pellets or cubes? Also at what rate, a handful every five minutes or a constant flow?

I managed a red off longy three weeks ago about 38cm. First ever off there, so I want to get my rythm for long snapper

G'day Squid boy,

Yeh mate, to be honest we go through a lot of berley to get the big guys in the boat and always fish with fresh bait!

In terms of berley, arrive on the reef at 4am and cube (small 2cm cubes) pillies. Go through about 2kg in 2 hours. Basically a full pilchard cubed up each 2 or 3 minutes, once they drift off in the current, another pillie. Berley hard core!

We also focus on catching live squid (you get these before sunrise on a lot of the reef) to put down squid strips as bait. Snapper love squid / cuttlefish with a passion!

As well as live squid, use fresh baits such as GARFISH, YELLOWTAIL, SLIMIES, BONITO, MAC TUNA etc "FRESH IS ALWAYS BEST". Even Sargaent Baker fillets are great bait!

The reds will come for you Squidboy, just keep berleying and gettign out early or late. 38cm (like yours) was once my record from longy, now its 75cm mate. Took a while to get there, however, now we seem to crack at least a 4kg one each session.

Speak to GUYS like SLINK on Fishraider mate. I learnt from him and his good mates MUZZA & GAV MCMANNUS. The really do very well on the reds!

Got this one in 20m of water cubing hard recently...

Butch

rs

post-11981-097209800 1347260599_thumb.jpg