Recomended Jewfish lures

Gatte

Hey guys,

Tried looking for this info in a thread but couldn't find one so appologies if I have posted a pre existing topic. I wanted to find out what other guys/girls have had success on when it comes to jewfish and soft plastics. Right now my lure of choice is a gulp 3" minnow. It has delivered for me every time I've had a spin but never hooked a jewie on one. Will this get the job done for me? Or should I look at something else? And what's the best action for them? Slow retrieve this time a year?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

Gatts

Hey guys,

Tried looking for this info in a thread but couldn't find one so appologies if I have posted a pre existing topic. I wanted to find out what other guys/girls have had success on when it comes to jewfish and soft plastics. Right now my lure of choice is a gulp 3" minnow. It has delivered for me every time I've had a spin but never hooked a jewie on one. Will this get the job done for me? Or should I look at something else? And what's the best action for them? Slow retrieve this time a year?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

Gatts

You will find that a 3 inch lure is better for bream than jews... you may want to look at something 5+ inchs in size.

5" Gulp jerk shads or 7inch sluggo/bozo's have landed me a few jewbangers, the larger squidgy paddletails are also popular.. i used a heavier jighead to get the plastics down in the deeper water.

good luck

Trung

3" is certainly too small... you can get away with 4" on small schoolies but as previously mentioned 5" + is recommended. The jerkshads are great, 7" especially! The Zman Swimmerz 6" and 4" are my pick though! Great paddle tail lure and dynamite on jews. The pending WR barra caught recently was on one of these! They also last ALOT longer than other SP's and are 10 times tougher! The squidgy fish 100mm is ok for schoolies at times also.

Cheers, Tom

Update on the lures! Purchased 4" swimmerz and 7" gulp jerk shads. Both in reasonably natural colours. Got some 20 of suffix mono to go with it so spooled up and ready to have another crack at it!! Thanks for the tips guys :)

Good choice on the SP's. The 6" S zman swimmerz are good for the bigger fish but the 4" is perfect for schoolies and big flatties! I would certainly consider using braid though... Much better for lure fishing than mono..

Cheers, Tom

Sorry meant to day braid. Got a 40 lb mono leader attached to the 7 inch and 30lb to the 4" lure

Should be good to go then! If your fishing tight structure for bigger fish then upsize to maybe 60lb leader.. Good luck!

Cool beans so just had a flick, the swimmerz are a great lure! The problem I had was it kept slipping down the jig head for some reason, might have been the wrong ones or size...are they supposed to have the hook exposed under the lure?

And I wasn't sure what the best action was on the jerk shad?

Had no luck but I misread the times, looked at tomorrows so missed it completly haha

3" is certainly too small... you can get away with 4" on small schoolies but as previously mentioned 5" + is recommended. The jerkshads are great, 7" especially! The Zman Swimmerz 6" and 4" are my pick though! Great paddle tail lure and dynamite on jews. The pending WR barra caught recently was on one of these! They also last ALOT longer than other SP's and are 10 times tougher! The squidgy fish 100mm is ok for schoolies at times also.

Cheers, Tom

Hey Matey,

Good buy.

However, I wouldnt go by saying that " 3" is certaintly too small". Jewies are oppurtunitistic feeders and IMO will hit any good plastic that is in front of them - as long as they are hungry.

I have caught some cracker jewies on 3" Shrimp and 3" Minnows - one of my biggest jewies went 16kg cleaned and was on a 3" minnow up at Roseville.

However, in saying this, I have had more success with 5" plastics and BIG shads.

I rekon, that its fishing and there are no rules. Whilst some plastics may outfish others for species, there is no rule saying that one species wont eat a different type of plastic.

Good luck and look forward to the report of that big jewie!!

Hey Matey,

Good buy.

However, I wouldnt go by saying that " 3" is certaintly too small". Jewies are oppurtunitistic feeders and IMO will hit any good plastic that is in front of them - as long as they are hungry.

I have caught some cracker jewies on 3" Shrimp and 3" Minnows - one of my biggest jewies went 16kg cleaned and was on a 3" minnow up at Roseville.

However, in saying this, I have had more success with 5" plastics and BIG shads.

I rekon, that its fishing and there are no rules. Whilst some plastics may outfish others for species, there is no rule saying that one species wont eat a different type of plastic.

Thanks mate, all about perseverance I think. Will keep at it and eventually get the formula right

Hey Matey,

Good buy.

Good point mate! You do hear about plenty of school jew on 3" i guess! Great point about them being opportunistic feeders.. Generally speaking, the bigger fish will take the 5-7" plastics. Your 16kg fish definitely shows that you can catch big jews on small plastics!

Tom

I have a feeling the gulp jerk shads I purchased may have been a little sketchy.

They were a bit hard when I pulled them out yesterday and thought it was just a bigger lure but I felt some in a pack at a different store and they were a much softer "squishier" feel, which might explain the complete absence of any tail movement on the retrieve?

Any thoughts? Going back out tomorrow and will grab another pack if it's worth it.

Edited by Gatts

My first jewwie was caught on a 7 inch jerks had in pearl white but since then I have learned you do not need a big lure for a Jew. I've now caught 5 jewwies on lures since ranging from 60-85 cm the biggest since MAY this year. 7 inch plastic caught me my first jewwie a 79cm but 3.25 inch lunker city "shaker" has been my to go to lure for jewwies color is metallic carrot. 3 of the 5 were caught on this lure after a bloke at the tackle store said that big lures don't necessarily catch and introduced them to me. The other lure was a mf 50 vibe by berkley also very small lure so it shows you don't need massive lures for jewwies 3 inch gulps may not be big enough because they are a bit thin and don't stand out but you certainly do not need anything much bigger. 5 inch jerk shads and a lot of the slick rigs in 80 mm are perfect.

Watch a few videos on line a lot of guys catch Jews on their 35-40 mm blades and they are 8-10 kilo fish goes to show big means nothing

Edited by A.dawg

Excellent. Sounds like a good variety is going to be a factor in consistently finding the jewies. Having a mixed bag will help me match whatever is in the area that they'll be feeding on.

With all the great help I have my fingers crossed that I'll have a report from the weekend of my first Jew. If not, stand by because it won't be too far away :)

Edited by Gatts

• 2 years later...