yakkas

dadwithnoidea

Armed with great advice from mack attack off I go on Tues night to try and catch some yakkas. Burleyed up at Balmoral wharf and within minutes I could see little rockets zooming around in the dark. Straight into them then realised I hadn't filled my bucket with water. Got that done with one hand while holding first yakka in other hand. Second one came in fast behind it, straight into the bucket then jumped straight out....hmmm, maybe too much water. Third one came in, off the hook, bounced off the wharf steps and straight back in.... Refining technique with each fish and after an hour had enough. Only had an hour or so to fish with them and didn't catch anything but was so, so happy that I had mastered yakka fishing. Thank you Tom for all your help.

Told my mate all about it and he was keen to come out Wed night. Planned to get going a bit earlier, grab our live bait then have a good go with them. We fished 5 different wharves, including Balmoral twice for nothing!! I burleyed the same or maybe even more. We even ended up back at Balmoral at exactly the same time of night to check if that made a difference. Anyone have any ideas about what happened? The storm came through on Thurs, could that have changed things the night before? Or is my mate just bad luck?

Now I realise I have not mastered yakka fishing, but maybe had a fluke on Tues.

Mate that's fishing for you, nothing's ever guaranteed, if it was it would be called catching. That's why i love it so much.

Berluy with bread, not to much thou. 2kg handline, no14 long shank, smallest split shot or sinker you can get and mince for bait.

I went again on Sunday night and due to a lot of people there before me I fished the bit between wharf and pool...nothing, not a sight of one. Most of the people gave up and went home but one bloke on the other side started talking about all these little fish zooming around. He was happy for me to move over and got stacks pretty quick. Thats twice now on the side with light that there are plenty and twice in the dark for zero.

Gotta love learning a little bit each time :biggrin2: