Boat fuel line modification

Bleeding Green

At the end of winter when my boat has been sitting for months I like to drain the old fuel out and put fresh fuel in before sending her off for a service.

Currently the best way to drain the tank is to disconnect the main line at the bulb (hand pump), then feed the line through the bung hole and siphon out. Works well, it a little bit of mucking around.

I'm thinking of cutting the main line, fitting a 't' piece, with a 'drain' line that will have an inline tap and a plug at the end to stop water from entering during cleaning. I can then just feed this line trough the bung hole, open tap and a siphon out. It would be much quicker to drain and I wouldn't need to disconnect the main line.

My fuel tank is under the false floor so I'd need to open the access hatch and feed it out.

All seems rather simple to me. Can anyone see any problems with this, or something I may be missing?

Does anyone know where the best place would be to buy a t piece and inline tap? The current line at 3/8 printed on it so the fitting would need to match.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds good in theory but not sure a loose fuel line , which perhaps is out of site , floating around the bottom of the boat & possibly leaking is ideal.

For fuel , brass fittings are preffered but brass & aluminium are not good companions especially when exposed to salt water.

I see your on the South Coast. Perhaps a place to start would be Enzed Unanderra.

They may have something in plastic or stainless that will do the job.

Geoff