Cracker of a day at Thompsons

corbs

After last weeks attempt at Lake Lyell with my mate Crazy Dan fishing in the rubbish and high winds it was good to get back to clean water, no rubbish and no wind.

The day started well with Dans mate Matt cracking his first trout on a soft plastic (we didn't hold that against him as he was happy). We spent the rest of the morning polaroiding plenty of big rainbows chasing each other in the shallows ignoring most flies thrown at them. I spotted a big male rainbow cruising the shallows and spooked him on my first cast and off he went bag into deeper water. Within 5 minutes he came back into the clear shallow water sniffing around and this time I was not going to stuff it up with a bad cast...out went the brown wooly bugger, strip, strip and boom be woofed the fly down and tore off into the deep water. After a short fight 'net bitch' Dan got him safely in the net, my PB rainbow of around the 5-6lb mark! The rest of the day we saw plenty of rainbows but they were more interested in chasing after each other ignoring any flies we throw at them. Will give them a couple of weeks to settle down before we have another crack at them.

post-12596-046671800 1347844995_thumb.jpg

Awesome looking fish! Looks like he would have put up a bit of sting too. Congrats on a tough day. Hopefully they will be more interested in food in a couple of weeks as I am going to head there with a selection of plastics, hardbody's, celta's and devils. Congrats to your bud on his first trout also, I got mine a week or so ago and it felt absolutely awesome! :thumbup:

How awesome does that fish look! Well done mate.

Oh I'm guessing your NET BITCH :074: 'aka Crazy Dan' came out empty??? I know "net bitch" was giving it to you during the last few post of his so you must be loving it!

Again well done and thanks for the laugh :)

Good fish Mate! It was a tough day Saturday for "Team Stalker"...Not a touch for us ALL day!

I think the changing weather has had a part to play in their behavior this past week.

beaut rainbow mate,

i wont be leaving the flyrod at home again thats for sure,

well done on persisting with those rainbows mate theyre not easy to catch when theyre acting that way,

would have been great to watch him charge over and smash ya fly,

i reckon its the recent rain whats set them off again.