GOLD COAST CANALS

jordy

Hey raiders heading up to the gold coast for 2 weeks in january are the canals a good option im staying in a private home on the waterfront just wondering if any one has had a go there and what species are on offer.Ive heard the bull sharks might come out to play at night.Any advice thanked for in advance.

If you have access to a boat with an electric... or a yak... then the canals are great fun fishing. Nearly every pontoon and wall holds bream but don't expect them to be big. The average size in the canals is only around 20-25cm at that time of year with enough bigger models to make it fun still. If you chase bream on lures, you'll also get a few trevally and occasional mangrove jack.

Yes there are bull sharks in the canals but don't expect anyone to appreciate it if you start burleying a canal. You'll have more luck (with or without burley) if you want sharks, by fishing any of the rivers.

If you want some real fun and have a boat, go looking for jacks in the rivers or around the rock walls in the broadwater. Just look for good current flow going past rock walls, bridge pylons or gnarly snags and you're in with a chance. If you're a bait fisherman, live herring or slab baits work well I'm told. I use lures and plastics.

Another really good option if you want some fun is to live bait the Seaway using live herrings. Drift the sand edges along either wall and you're likely to get almost anything. Usually in summer you can expect a mixed bag of flathead, bream, snapper, trevally and jewies with the odd sweetlip or cod thrown in.

Cheers, Slinky

Thanks for the great info.Ill cop the tip re. the bull sharks not really into shark fishing but thought it could be an option of our jetty at night.I have a tinny with Watersnake and lure fishing is my passion cant wait to have a crack up there sounds like quite a diverse fishery.