Shimming The gears

If your old spin reels are rough and have become rougher over time, shimming won't get them back to smooth. They might improve things slightly but the problem will be either your bearings or gears need replacing. If the reels are making noise like 'sand' is inside something, its probably bearings. If its a rough 'coffee grinder' feeling, its probably gears.

All being said though, you can get shims by googling reel parts. If you have no luck, send me a PM and I'll let you know some sites. When I was a moderator I had permission to name a couple of specific sites for parts but I want to be a little more discreet now.

Cheers, Slinky

If your old spin reels are rough and have become rougher over time, shimming won't get them back to smooth. They might improve things slightly but the problem will be either your bearings or gears need replacing. If the reels are making noise like 'sand' is inside something, its probably bearings. If its a rough 'coffee grinder' feeling, its probably gears.

All being said though, you can get shims by googling reel parts. If you have no luck, send me a PM and I'll let you know some sites. When I was a moderator I had permission to name a couple of specific sites for parts but I want to be a little more discreet now.

Cheers, Slinky

Hi. I was waiting for your reply haha. The reels are about 8 years old. Stradic and Capricorn. They are in very good order. Always pulled apart and maintained. There not really rough. The average person probably would bother or notice, they are just more rough than what they were when new.

Definitly gear rough noise is what they have. Im not sure if the gears are worn and thats causing it or they need better shimming. So Im going to try shims first and see how that goes.