Engine advice. Honda BF150 4stroke or Etec 150

puregeek

Hi guys.

Time has come for an upgrade of the boat. But im really stuck on which engine to go for. Boat im looking at is a 6.5m plate boat and im down to 2 engine choices. I have done a pros and cons list but still cant come up with the right decision.

Honda.

Pros

- 4 Stroke (No oil 2 stroke oil required)

- Honda reputation

- 5 Year warranty

- Blast and VTEC technology (newer technology perhaps?)

Cons

- 4 cylinder 2.4l (beefed up 135hp)

- More expensive

- Service Intervals

Etec

Pros

- V6 2.7l

- 5 Year warranty

- Better torque and top end

- 3 Year service Intervals

- Cheaper

Cons

- Uses expensive XD100 Oil

- Fumes when trolling

- 2 stroke

I currently have a 90hp etec on my current rig at the moment, love the power and torque but not the fumes that i get when the wind comes from behind the boat. I have driven a 5.5m and 4.8m ally boats with yamaha 4 strokes on them and the bottom end (hole shot) on them are not great, but honda are supposed to have this BLAST technology, not sure if thats just a marketing thing though. Displacement would come into play aswell i guess 4 cyclinder 2.4l vs a 2.7 V6. Any thoughts guys?

Yee

Edited by puregeek

I have the BF150 on my 610 aloy and the hole shot "blast Technology" is F-unreal. Torque - I usualy only have 2 or 3 adults in the boat but on the odd occasion Ive had 5 adults and it makes very little difference at all and no difference to my fuel consumption... 2kms/1L.

Getting up on the plane = I would like to video it one day, I beleive I can have my boat on the plane within 6meters (its own lengh)I have a vid that was close but I wasn't trying at the time.

I wouldn't swap my Honda for an etec even if they were giving them away with a fist full of $100 notes! but to make your own opinion I suggest you get behind the controls of each of them!

I must question the comment that the 150 is a beefed up 135 my thoughts go the other way , the 135 would be a 150 with the power being limited by the computer?

Brett

Edited by oz_brett

Honda four stroke all the way. The new BLAST technology sounds awesome. But i just love the smoothness and reliability of the hondas. I trust the level of engineering and design that goes into Honda four stroke engines whether it is for Marine, Cars, Motorcycles or even lawn mowers.

I believe the BF150 is based on Honda's K24 4cyl engine design which is a proven engine in their automotive range. This engine is highly regarded in the automotive industry and has been engineered to a level which is in many ways superior to most other 4 cylinders in the market. The k24 is found in the Accord, Euro, CRV, and in the high performance Integra's.

You can probably tell that i like my Honda's. The BF150 is the way of modern engines. The E-Tec is still using old 2-stroke albeit direct injected.

Edited by Dangas

Hi, you will get opinions from everyone and some more experinced than others and I wonder how many of these peiople that claim they would not take an E-TEC if free have even actually used one or work on outboards daily and see the problems with some brands. We could sell any brand I wanted and I choose to sell what I sell because I think they are the best and nothing wrong with any other brand but alot of your things are wrong.

You say a Honda as a prop does not have oil-that is wrong-you need to hange the sump oil reguarly. You say a con for the E-TEC is you have to use expensive oil-again WRONG and you can use cheap oil if you want to. An E-TEC is the CLEANEST engine on the market and why they are the only brand to win a clean air award so again they fume at idle is WRONG and see how much CO any 4-Stroke puts out at idle and that is not good for us humans-all this is on the EPA site if you do not believe me and why on E-TEC mets the tougher EU emmissions that regulate CO outputs. Why is being a 2-stroke a con-they have been used as outboards for over 100 years in the case of an Evirude so a proven marine technology whereas 4-Strokes have only happended due to EPA and until you see a 30 year old 150HP 4-Stroke Honda surviving in salt water the jury is out to how long they will last. The simple FACTS are before the EPA no body made a 150HP 4-Stroke because no one was forcing them to and the simple, light weight and powerful 2-Stroke offers more benefits and tajkes tbhe best of both desgins. All your CONS are wrong about an E-TEC and I have driven both on simialr boats and the Honda goes OK but I do not give a s##t what technology a 4-stroke has NO 4 cylinder 4-stroke is going to have the grunt of a V6 2-stroke and that is what is needed to plane deep vee heavy boats and why outboards before the EPA exisited were ALL 2-Strokes.

Cheers,

Huey.

Let the internet E-TEC haters begin and I just wonder how many actually have ever looked under the cowl of one or even used one for extended periods.

Hi, you will get opinions from everyone and some more experinced than others and I wonder how many of these peiople that claim they would not take an E-TEC if free have even actually used one or work on outboards daily and see the problems with some brands. We could sell any brand I wanted and I choose to sell what I sell because I think they are the best and nothing wrong with any other brand but alot of your things are wrong.

You say a Honda as a prop does not have oil-that is wrong-you need to hange the sump oil reguarly. You say a con for the E-TEC is you have to use expensive oil-again WRONG and you can use cheap oil if you want to. An E-TEC is the CLEANEST engine on the market and why they are the only brand to win a clean air award so again they fume at idle is WRONG and see how much CO any 4-Stroke puts out at idle and that is not good for us humans-all this is on the EPA site if you do not believe me and why on E-TEC mets the tougher EU emmissions that regulate CO outputs. Why is being a 2-stroke a con-they have been used as outboards for over 100 years in the case of an Evirude so a proven marine technology whereas 4-Strokes have only happended due to EPA and until you see a 30 year old 150HP 4-Stroke Honda surviving in salt water the jury is out to how long they will last. The simple FACTS are before the EPA no body made a 150HP 4-Stroke because no one was forcing them to and the simple, light weight and powerful 2-Stroke offers more benefits and tajkes tbhe best of both desgins. All your CONS are wrong about an E-TEC and I have driven both on simialr boats and the Honda goes OK but I do not give a s##t what technology a 4-stroke has NO 4 cylinder 4-stroke is going to have the grunt of a V6 2-stroke and that is what is needed to plane deep vee heavy boats and why outboards before the EPA exisited were ALL 2-Strokes.

Cheers,

Huey.

Let the internet E-TEC haters begin and I just wonder how many actually have ever looked under the cowl of one or even used one for extended periods.

Thanks Huey, my pros and cons were based on what i have experienced with the etecs. Dont get me wrong I love my etec, great power and torque on the bottom end and reliable (had it for 2 years without a hickup). But sometimes the 2 stroke fumes can be smelt when slow trolling, quick blast on the throttle and it sorta goes away. I did hear it was a common issues with the early etecs (2006) Im not sure it is still the same with newer models. And i know you can use any TW3 oil, but I have always used xd100 and if i was to get another etec i will continue to use xd100. This is what the manufacturer produces for us to use with the engine so this is what I will use. But they are $50-60 per container.

The main reason i put up the post was to get feedback on people who have used both and there opinions on them. And im quite sure for the amount of E-TEC haters there are the same amount that love em and swear by em.

Edited by puregeek

Hey Puregeek

I have an Etec 90 as well, I don't really smell the fumes. I doubt you will go wrong eitherway.

Most importantly, what boat are you getting? :)

Hey Formosan, Looking at the stacer 649 ocean ranger. What year model is you engine?

Edited by puregeek

Hi PureGeek,

Take a look at the search function on engine advice and then go talk to the PROFESSIONALS and decide on what you want.

As usual topics like this end up getting messy so i'm closing it, if you want to PM puregeek with info....go for it BUT do not restart this topic.

Have a chat to Huett Marine @ Cowan, they deal with E-Tec and many other engines and can give a non biased opinion and professional advice.