Buying my first boat

Don_

I'm currently looking to get my first boat (finally!). My budget is $9000-$10,000, and I'm after an open aluminum boat 4-4.5m. I'm inclined towards a brooker safari, or anglapro. What would everyone recommend new or used? Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Don It's unlikely you will find a new boat in 4 - 4.5mt range for $10k so it's going to be secondhand.

As for the brand , there are heaps to choose from & most are very similar in design.

Stability is important , so look at the rear deadrise (degree of "V") the smaller the better however the bow needs good "cutting" design to miminise tinny bang.

High sides (freeboard) are better than one with low sides.

The main focus needs to be on the motor , is there sufficient HP. 30HP would be OK but a 40HP for a 4 - 4.5 mt boat would be better.

Elect start & power tilt are the preffered options.

The most important aspect is the condition of the moter. A visual will give a good indication if it's been looked after & supported by service history & perhaps a compression test.

There is a lot involved , the above are just a few key points which may assist.

Geoff

Some good info there!

In regards to the Safari, I had a 4.5 2009 model and the hull it's self was excellent. Plenty of stability and a great lay out with the lack of the full width alloy seats.

Have to agree in regards to the 30hp outboard been a little on the small side. I wouldnt consider any thing less then a 40.

When looking at alloy boats with electrical assesories fitted, check ti ensure there is no corrosion from a poor install

Cheers for the quick responses! They all help a lot. So there is a significant difference between the 30 and 40 hp? Majority of the second hand boats I've been looking at are fitted with a 30 hp.. Also, i've read many mixed reviews on peoples preference of motor brands. What would your recommendations be with brands? It seems as though Yamaha are the go these days for these sized boats after noticing 9 out of 10 boats are fitted with a Yamaha.. Thanks again for everyones help much appreciated!!

Don

Majority of the second hand boats I've been looking at are fitted with a 30 hp..

A lot of new boats sold in this range are package deals & to keep the price as low as possible 30's are fitted. A sale with a 30 is more likely to occur than the more expensive option of a 40 , even though the 40 provides far better overall performance.

As to brands , it depends on the age , hours , service & general overall care so to say one is better than another can be subjective.

If you stick with the well known brands like Yamaha your less likely to have a problem.

Geoff