squidding out of the yak in the bay

quintrex480

Hi Raiders,

I've had my peekaboo Ocean Kayak for over a year now, seemed like a great idea at the time but with the arrival of my second child, it's been collecting dust ever since.

A year on, I thought I'd start putting it to some use, so over the last week, decided to leave the boat at home and take the yak out for some squidding sessions out of the bay, a mate just recently got himself a hobie as well so we decided to hit the bay yesterday, and I wanted to see if he could peddle his revolution against my minnkota powered yak. Let's just say I smashed him at first!!! :biggrin2: but he got me back when my battery died and I had to paddle a yak that had at least another 10-15kgs on the hobie. :ranting2:

Ended up with some squid, and the DIY bait tank which was just a plastic container box with some holes drilled into it and attached under the lid of the peekaboo worked really well, no pumps and no hoses required. Trolled one of the squid down around molli point but no takers, water temp is still sitting around 17 degrees. The paddle back from molli point back to Frenchmans with a 10-15knt head wind almost killed me, need a bigger battery I think.

Can't wait when the kings come in, would love to feel a king tow me around a little in the yak.

post-16665-060469100 1349137672_thumb.jpg

post-16665-052307800 1349137680_thumb.jpg

post-16665-065947200 1349137685_thumb.jpg

great report there mate, ive had a yak for a few years and bought a tinnie with a 25 on the back last year, reading these type of reports makes me think i should be doing more yak style trips lets you get right into the rocks with worrying about prop and hull damages too i guess.

Nice squid as always. Thanks for sharing.

We were in the bay yesterday as well midday till about 5.30pm. Thousands of bait fish showed up on the sounder. They just wouldn't stop, we were hoping for some kings come after them, but still not yet. Different story if it was summer. Kicking myself for not whipping out a squid jig and practicing, instead of mucking around with the bait fish.

great report there mate, ive had a yak for a few years and bought a tinnie with a 25 on the back last year, reading these type of reports makes me think i should be doing more yak style trips lets you get right into the rocks with worrying about prop and hull damages too i guess.

yeah, what I love about the yak is the ease in transporting it compared to the boat. I don't work too far from the bay, so come summer and daylight saving... You'll see me down there in the yak, either squidding or trolling a squid around for kings.

nice squid but Where will you mount the downrigger??? :biggrin2:

hehehe I've got the perfect spot all reserved for the little Scotty downrigger Luke.

Stuff paddling around Zarn stick to boat i say ...

Chris

the yak for the little kings, the boat for the big boys Chris. :biggrin2:

Damn, nice Kingie bait mate, that or dinner !

they ended up being dinner, either way you can't lose :biggrin2:

just wondering where in the bay did ya get the squids ?

Hi mate, just find some kelpy waters and you'll be in with a chance, but I was squidding around Frenchmans Bay.

Get ready zarn summer is on it's way put the yak back in the garage and get the beast out

Catch ya later

Luke

it can't come soon enough Luke!!! just counting down the days... feels like it's been ages.

hey man thought it was you.. saw you trolling a squid at molli.. i was in the ally craft bow rider we were just watching lol.. hoping u would hook up something as we didnt get no bites...

heya Tan!!! shite! yeah I saw you guys as well but I couldn't tell if were you or not, you should have yelled out to me or something. Yeah trolling that squid around, I was just hoping something, anything would take it, just for a little fun. Only could do one pass as I promised the mrs I would be back in time for lunch.

Nice squid as always. Thanks for sharing.

We were in the bay yesterday as well midday till about 5.30pm. Thousands of bait fish showed up on the sounder. They just wouldn't stop, we were hoping for some kings come after them, but still not yet. Different story if it was summer. Kicking myself for not whipping out a squid jig and practicing, instead of mucking around with the bait fish.

hey buddy! yeah practice squidding as often as you can, and when those kings come around, you'll have some candy for them :biggrin2:, good luck!!!