Inspired

Gatte

All these reports from raiders about their awesome jewfish catches over the last few weeks has got me even more determined to find the buggers! All signs point to the right time to try as well so I'll be out there tonight with baits and lures!

Anyone recommend the best knot for braid-mono leader, having trouble getting a nice flat leader knot that doesn't hit the guides on the road when casting. I've been advised to used a good 1 or 2 meters of leader...

Gatts

That would depend on how thick the leader is, and how different the diameters are between the braid and leader. If you're using similar diameter lines, then something as simple as a 5 turn surgeons knot would do the trick being both strong and slim profile. If there's a big difference between the braid and leader diameters and you're using thick leader (ie. 40lbs+), I think the best are the PR or FG knots which are both very strong and slim profile. Downside is they both take a bit of time to tie and so I only tie them at home before going out. On the water though, if I needed to tie on another leader, I would then use the slim beauty or the improved Albright knot, although I'm tending to favour the Albright the more I've used both knots. Sure there's plenty of other knots out there but these are the ones I've had experience with.

Thanks mate! Ill definatly chrck these knots out. I've been using 40lb mono leader on 20lb braid. The knot I have been tying a double surgeons knot. Do I really need 1+ meters of leader when throwing a soft plastic around?

Hey mate,

Check out the knots link at the top of the page, plenty of help there.

I use a leader length of what I am comfortable with for what I am targeting, but usually start with a leader length the same as my rod length.

My reason behind this is the length allows for re-rigging due to abrasion etc when fishing around snags etc, and also at a pinch when I cant re-tie a leader to main line in rough seas I can easily tie on a swivel using a simpler knot then tie on a leader of the same length and it still has similar cast characteristics.

If that makes sense.

Cheers

Kel