Knots for Nanofil

helliconia

I got 300M of 10lb Nanofil to spool my new Daiwa Legalis 3000 with.

Since this stuff is so fine, what knots would be best for joining? I need to join 2 150M packs together on the spool, tie it off to the spool itself, and add a joiner to something on the end, maybe a Vanish leader.

Any thoughts?

You wont need 300 meters for your reel it would be a waste just spool some mono on first and save the other spool for later.as for knots albrite has been working for me just have to double your mainline then tie the albrite or if you cant do an albrite use a double uni knot.should be fine in 10lb im using 4lb its a bit harder but after some hassels it holds fine now

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

If its a similar diameter backing to mainline and you use mono then you'll end up using 4lb mono for your backing or lighter. Far to light if the braid is 10 lb. if a fish takes 152 meters then it's basically won!

I think stick with 10 lb mono do sure. If you decide to fill the spool with nanofil you still need a few wraps of mono around the spool, otherwise the line will slip around the spool.

If its a similar diameter backing to mainline and you use mono then you'll end up using 4lb mono for your backing or lighter. Far to light if the braid is 10 lb. if a fish takes 152 meters then it's basically won!

I think stick with 10 lb mono do sure. If you decide to fill the spool with nanofil you still need a few wraps of mono around the spool, otherwise the line will slip around the spool.

Yes that the trade off. Dependent upon the brand of mono, 10lb can be almost double the thickness of 4lb.

If your thinking that your target species might strip 100m of line from a small reel then you would just filling your spool with majority braid and minimal backing?

Yeah I'm looking at the tiny spool the nanofil came on and I'm thinking I'll need 2 for a 3000 series reel.

I'm sure I've got some 10-12lb braid in the boat, might use that for backing - although I already bought the nanofil.

Thanks for the help guys :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My thoughts, fill it with braid.....if it is a fish of a life-time you dont't want to be thinking "I'm now at the back fill which is only x kg" . For the investment, always go with the best when it comes to line is my opinion. You don't get 2 chances at that best fish.

Great advice there twinfisher! some fish out there can test your line to its very last gram of holding strength.. and Thats the fish worth well over $$$$!!! just doesn't make any sense compromising quality when you already have the line anyway... might as well use it.

as for backing, i found a little bit of duct tape on the aluminum barrel, then braid straight on top wont slip, but do use some old braid as backing to achieve a level finish with the lip of your spool.

knots, i agree with the double uni.