Werrell reserve 7/10/12

Benji-martin

Hey,

Yesterday afternoon I was sitting at home bored when I got a phone call off a mate who finally had a weekend off work. He was pretty keen to get out and have a fish and on sort notice we decided to go to werrell reserve. I had some left over pilchards and prawns from a previous trip so with no preparation I got a few rods and off we went. Got to the spot only a few there and decided to set up camp and the bench seat. While I threw out my light surf rod with a little bit of prawn and got a few little whiting And bream and so did my mate. It was about 5:30pm and I decided I would check the phone for the tides. I found out low tide was at 7:10pm and thought there could be a good chance for a Jew on the turn. I got the bucket and rod and walked over to Abbotsford wharf and before you knew it had 6 yellowtail in the bucket in this time my mate got a good size tailor and trevally. I walked back over rigged up my rod for a jew. By this time it was 6:45 and I was thinking wow time is going fast. I put on a yellowtail and threw it out. I walk back to the area where our stuff was which must of been about 30m away and before I could check my other rod the jew rod was going off. By the time I got to the time I got to it, it was gone. I put out a new bait and nothing happened few a few hours just small whiting and bream. It was now 9pm and we decided to leave because we had work in the morning. While I was packing up the live bait was smashed again and again I missed it. We went home think what a night I could of been if the two fish were landed but that's fishing.

Martin

Both would be great! Catching is always most useful though...I'm considering heading down myself after work one day this week being based in parramatta

mate catching I just use a padanosta rig with two 10 long shank hooks with a little bit of pillie. Just catch your live bait at the ferry wharf and then walk over to the reserve. While using them just a single hook behind the head above the lateral line. The size of the hook depends in the size of the bait.

Martin

mate catching I just use a padanosta rig with two 10 long shank hooks with a little bit of pillie. Just catch your live bait at the ferry wharf and then walk over to the reserve. While using them just a single hook behind the head above the lateral line. The size of the hook depends in the size of the bait.

Martin

The way you're hooking your livie could be a reason why you missed the fish.

Think of it this way. Sinker on the bottom to a leader to the livie.

Hooked behind the head the bait will swim upside down after a while & die.

Your best two options would be either a single circle hook through the nose or your normal or circle hook

pinned under the fish between the anal fin & tail.

They'll swim for hours & you do get a better hook up rate.

Another tip when land based fishing for jew is to hold your rod at all times.

It makes a huge difference. :biggrin2:

Love the area you're fishing. I grew up there. :thumbup:

Cheers,

Grant.

The way you're hooking your livie could be a reason why you missed the fish.

Think of it this way. Sinker on the bottom to a leader to the livie.

Hooked behind the head the bait will swim upside down after a while & die.

Your best two options would be either a single circle hook through the nose or your normal or circle hook

pinned under the fish between the anal fin & tail.

They'll swim for hours & you do get a better hook up rate.

Another tip when land based fishing for jew is to hold your rod at all times.

It makes a huge difference. :biggrin2:

Love the area you're fishing. I grew up there. :thumbup:

Cheers,

Grant.

cheers mate, at the moment I have a running sinker rig with a light ball sinker. This was the first time I gave had baits smashed. I will try some of your hooking tips. Next find I will try through the nose

Martin