Getting Bass Into It

kingpig

After not fishing for a long time, my son and I decided that Friday morning was the designated time to pull the 2 man caneo off the fence, the lure boxes from the bottom draw and try to catch a few bass in the Nepean River.

Its been over 18 months since I have been at the end of Devlin's Lane and with the sun not yet up we carried the caneo down the rock steps and launched it into the river. The first thing we noticed is the water in the river is warm and a great colour. I do not like it crystal clear and to me the very slight mirk shows good water flow.

As soon as we paddled out into the river the major change became very clear. THERE IS NO WEED!!!!!

As the light became stronger and it took very time to find that fish were active with mullet and herrings everywhere and the first strike from a bass came soon after. Actually it took 4 strikes on a surface crawling cicada lure before the fish numer 1 was brought to the caneo and then released.

As normal this fish was not large but thats what we expect from the Nepean River lots of little game fish, but for years I have said to my son I think bigger fish are here but in the weed beds and not catchable. It took about 4 more fish to find out that maybe my theory was correct.

A small purple deep diving lure hit the water and within milliseconds was swallowed in a take that looked like a tiny fish. About 3 seconds latter with line coming off the reel and not making any ground on the fish I soon said to my son this could be the biggest bass i have caught in the river. It was and measured 38cm not a huge Bass but a good solid fish.

Over the full session we landed and released 17 Bass from the usual little guys that amaze you at their ability to hit lures not much smaller that they are to the biggest of 38cm, with quite a few fish in the 34cm to 36cm range.

As we were putting the caneo back on the car we both said that we had the best session ever had in the Nepean River and we have fished it from Wallacia to the entrance of the Colo over many years.

If your after a bass guys I dont think you will have a better chance that right now and and this summer in the Nepean River.

post-1591-004123200 1350685308_thumb.jpg

post-1591-010412300 1350685324_thumb.jpg

post-1591-096046800 1350685333_thumb.jpg

post-1591-061882500 1350685345_thumb.jpg

post-1591-081792100 1350685362_thumb.jpg

I fish the upper nepean regularly, I was out about three weeks ago just doing a reccy (of a little shore based spot) and it appears that the river even in the upper reaches has had a good flush over the winter, nowhere near as much rubbish and debris even up to about ten to fifteen feet above the water line the undergrowth has been thinned out.

Bass seem to love purple, I always fish purple skirted spinners with some good success

Edited by Fozzy

Nice work! There are some crackers among the little guys, you just have to be persistent. I seriously think though any bass/EP over 30cm put up a great account of themselves on the ultra light gear and they are an absolute pleasure to catch. It really does amaze me also though how the really little guys are keen to have a go at a lure not much bigger than them. They really are super aggressive fish. Congrats on a good day out with a hot bite. I'm sure there will be many more to come. :thumbup: