Tackle for Fishing off boat

FranticD

Hi,

I am going to start boat fishing soon and want to buy new gear.

Can anyone please give me an idea what i should purchase for ideal boat fishing?

Rod Length, Rod Size, rod weight, reel size, line, etc

I am planning on targetting just about everything, but want someone strong enough to target Kings and jew fish

Thanks for your help

A lot will depend on how much money you want to spend but if just starting out I would go with fibreglass rods rather than Graphite as glass is more durable & the fish won't know the difference.

I normally carry 4 rods ranging from very light for livies up to 6 - 8 kg. I also have a roller tip rod for game fishing.

Keep in mind your only allowed 4 rigged rods per person at any time.

Length is another aspect. I find 1.8mt to 2.0mt the best for boat fishing. Anything longer & it can be difficult to handle the fish when it is near or being lifted into the boat , especially if there is no need to use a net.

As for Reels , suggest stick to the better known brands like Okuma , Shimano , Daiwa etc.

Line , There are heaps to choose from & every one has their own favourits.

For mono , I like Maxima , it's good all round at a competitive price.

Braid , again , heaps to choose from I found Tuf Line is as good as any.

Hope this helps

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

Hi mate.

Weather I'm fishing bait or lures off a boat , I have two out fits I use which still make the fighting of smaller species like bream and trevally fun, whilst at the same time having enough guts to bring in small Jew and small kings.

The the first be a stradic 3000 spooled with 14lb fireline on 3-6kg 7ft Raider and the second be an advantage 3000 on 10-17lb saltwater series rod, iv had these combos for a sometime now and the work great.

From above only take note of the specs, you dont need to spend that much money on your outfits, a 4000 Sedona on a 3-6kg catana spooled with fireline will serve you the same, the drag on the sedona is quite smooth, I had 3 X sedonas on starlo stix for whiting fishing and they looked after me, but i also looked after them, hosing them down after usage and oiling the necesary bits. If you have the money and want to splurge go ahead and spoil yourself. That too is part of the journey when your an angler.

Fishingphase

• 2 weeks later...

is that true, only allowed 4 rods (rigged)......I would have at least 6 anytime I go out! How dare they restrict the number of rods I take for recreational fishing? So can I take any number but as long as no more than 4 are rigged? What is happening to this country.....and particularly this state, Mr O'Farrell?

is that true, only allowed 4 rods (rigged)......I would have at least 6 anytime I go out! How dare they restrict the number of rods I take for recreational fishing? So can I take any number but as long as no more than 4 are rigged? What is happening to this country.....and particularly this state, Mr O'Farrell?

It's 4 rods per person I believe, but it's actually a good idea, along with bag limits and size restrictions, sydney is to heavily populated, and there's a lot of pressure on our fish stocks, over all I think these rules are in place for the benefit of the fish and future fisherman to come.

Fishingphase

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, im looking at a 6'6 Ugly Stick rated 8-15kg for fishing off a boat.

Would i be able to match that with any reel? Do you think the above reel is too heavy for targeting Kings?

More specifically, i have a Daiwa Windcast and a Pflueger contender... i was hoping to use these reels, rather than having to purchase another reel?

Edited by FranticD