late report of loss and distruction

sydangler

Planned to fish the high tide Friday arvo after getting out of work late and nothing going to plan got to my spot late around 6. Had 2 fresh squid from the day before so sent out a strip and a head on separate rods. Fellow raider outdoordan was down there having a flick chatting away with him for abit when I got my first take. A pesky banjo shark. Once I had him at my feet the head bait got slammed. Dan was kind enough to hold my rod while I bolted over and grabbed my rod nothing there a few seconds later it loads up and its a good fish, big head shakes and a good run then I start feel him in the reef and in seconds my 50lb fluro leader pops #%&*. So I sorted out the banjo and reset my baits. Next was a salmon on a strip and a good hit on my other squid head. I was running out of time so I decided to send out my remain squid tube whole guts and all. Standing there chatting away (little did I know I had left my drag completely locked up) all of a sudden my rod slams down and my 8000 stradic starts screaming in protest. I jump on the rod and back the drag of a little this was a really good fish. Powering runs and huge head shakes. All I can do is hold on. The it happens he finds that god dam reef again. Quickly drop my rod tip and back the drag right off. Had a few goes at lightly leading him free and even free spoiling him but was having no luck. Finally my wind on pops and nothing.

Went back the next day to try again but the rat kings and salmon plagued me and smashed all my baits. But the worst thing to come out of it all (apart from loosing 2 solid fish) was my 8000 stradic high is my go to reel for most things was completely gone. Drag sticking and lost all smoothness and it locks and slips when trying to wind under load.

Pulled it apart last night and the bottom drag washer was stuck to th spool, the roller was locked up and bent and bits were coming loose. Tip don't leave reels completely locked up Hahaha. I managed to free the drag washer and regreased my drag and got the roller moving again and tightened it all up so ill see how it goes.

remember shimano has 10 years warranty on it so if you have your receipt you might have some luck repairing your reel! Thats unfortunate about all the break offs aswell sounds like it was one of those nights :ranting2: At least you were out there giving em a shot

Unfortunately I have serviced my reels my self so I've voided warranty. It feels good after I stripped it down and oiled and greased everything. Ill see how it goes next time I use it. Its had a good hard run that reel landed kings Jews sharks and big rays. Might be time to retire it.