Fin-nor

Lightweight

Hi Bashir,

They are threadlines, the spool sais they will take 120yds of 12lb line, they where passed to me from my old boy, he has no use for them anymore. They look and feel great with a very solid drag, and plenty of stainless to go with it. Do you know where they are made?? Some of the language seems finnish or sacandanavian...

LW

Finnor ahab spinning reels are they? All black? Awesome solid reels, a bit heavy, but they're as solid as they come. I had a big one a while ago that my uncle gave me. They leave a Penn spinfisher for dead IMO. :thumbup: They are a completely american company, the owners were named Finley and Norwood, hence the name.

The original Ahab's were made in the USA but the Ahab 8 i owned was made in Bangladesh from memory. They certainly are too heavy for their size and quite frankly, i was disappointed. The cork drag was ok but had a strange drag knob set up :thumbdown: I'd be saving my pennies and buying two Stradics for the price of one Ahab. I still have a Fin-nor Tycoon little eggbeater and it is crap too. If it wasn't so corroded it would have been sold ages ago :1prop:

Oh, and god help you if you ever need parts. They weren't available in Oz when i owned the Ahab.

Red

Hi Bashir,

Yeah, they are the all black made in USA additions. They are heavy for their size, but i think that comes with the solid stainless throughout. I have them on Shimano medium baitrunner rods, and will be using them to target the Jewies when the weather gets a little warmer.

Thanks for the info.

LW

G'day Lightweight,

How old are your Ahab's?

My Ahab #8 was purchased 4 years ago and was definately "not" made in the USA and my Fin nor Tycoon TYS7-1 is indeed made in Korea. I double checked this fact before posting :1naughty:

I am very disappointed with the Tycoon as it is corroded quite badly :ranting2: It still operates but will be sticking with Shimano, Penn and Daiwa from here on.

In particular Shimano with their unbeatable 10 year warranty and fantastic after sales service :thumbup:

Red

Hi Red,

Not exactly sure of the pruchase date. The 'ol boy bought them about 6-8 years ago. He assures me that they where made in the US. That was one of the main reasons he bought them, as well as the high grade stainless (he has a BIG liking for anything stainless).

Personally, i wouldn't go for such heavy gear, but i wasn't complaining when he passed them on...

LW

G'day Lightweight,

Any free reel is a bonus, let alone a Fin-nor Ahab :thumbup: It will serve you well. It's such a shame when quality companies such as Fin-nor, who have built their reputation on excellent US made products, shift operations to another country with cheap labour and cost of their reels don't come down accordingly :(:wacko::ranting2: Today's Ahab's should be half their asking price :biggrin2: much like the Malaysian made TLD's :thumbup:

Regards

Red