sushimi Aussie salmon?

josamill

Hi Raiders.....Anyone listen to the Big Fish on the ABC radio? Saturday mornings early. Hosted by Scott Levi, Central Coast fisho. He and Rob Paxevanos raving a few weeks ago about Aussie salmon being perfectly good sushimi. I haven't caught one to try lately. I know they are crap cooked, but anyone tried raw and chilled?

I've caught aussie salmon, bled straight away, put on ice in esky, cooked straight away when I got home, made fish cakes, still tastes like sh!t :074: And now I understand why people recommend fish cakes... fish cakes is basically blended or finely diced salmon with spices etc... defeats the whole purpose of tasting fish!

Im with kingfisher84, just lemon or smoked is the true way to taste the fish.

On another note, I have tried Bonito sushimi, and it wasn't as bad as I thought :thumbup:

I've caught aussie salmon, bled straight away, put on ice in esky, cooked straight away when I got home, made fish cakes, still tastes like sh!t :074: And now I understand why people recommend fish cakes... fish cakes is basically blended or finely diced salmon with spices etc... defeats the whole purpose of tasting fish!

Im with kingfisher84, just lemon or smoked is the true way to taste the fish.

On another note, I have tried Bonito sushimi, and it wasn't as bad as I thought :thumbup:

I agree just lemon or plain.

I have put salmon in the fridge and ate it raw the next day and found it does not taste that bad though I would not rave about it.

I usually feed aussie salmon to my dog. its good for his coat

There is no way I could eat Aussie salmon sashimi I think I would vomit. Last time I caught one it was bled straight away and the meat still stank and tasted bad, looked after it perfectly. Best bet would be to smoke it. Apparently deep dried beer battered are OK if bled properly but you'll get sick of that eventually too.

Bonito sashimi is better than kingfish if you ask me, so much softer and more delicate, you have to eat it within 2 days tho and u can't freeze it

I beg to differ Lads, sambos' are yummmm. There are a few prerequisites for cooking of the much maligned sambo.

Gutted and bled on the boat, dont forget to cut into the blood vessel on the backbone and clean.

Store on ice.

Fillet when you get home and cut ALL the red meat off.

Next is a smoking hot pan with butter just starting to brown

Cook your fish in to the pan making sure you dont overcook and its a fine line between cooked beautifully and dry as.

Dont bother freezing them or even keeping them till the next day. Thats what flatties and kingies are for....