Clontarf - 5/11/12

rjc123

Hey Raiders,

Haven't posted a report in a month or so. With a free day and lovely weather, i decided to have a go somewhere new today. Headed over to clontarf beach in middle harbour. It was a little windy upon arrival but i was determined to find a few fish. Armed with a light outfit, I began fishing with the ever faithful Z-man 2.5" Grubz in Bloodworm. After no more than 10 minutes got a decent hit, struck up on it but missed out... :ranting2: Another couple of minutes passed then got another hit and this time it stuck. Brought in the first flattie for the day at 45cm. Not a big fish but a nice little start! Over the next half hour got 3 more, going 41cm, 39cm and 36cm.

post-14949-007019200 1352097752_thumb.png

Started targeting the pylons near the swimming enclosure and after a few casts came up tight on a 27cm Bream. Considering i was balancing on the edge of the swimming platform, it wasn't easy keeping him away from the pylons... Things then started to slow down a little but just before calling it quits snagged a 48cm Pike. Caught a few the other day near Roseville but wasn't expecting one here! Really fun, acrobatic fight and ended up putting him back as i kept a few for bait earlier in the week.

post-14949-070520700 1352097776_thumb.png

The wind certainly made things hard but with a little persistence i found a few fish. All fish released to fight another day!

A few rats shot past the swimming enclosure around midday as well... Looks like the kings are ready to play!

Cheers, Tom

Edited by mulloway man

Sounds like a good day Tom you really love those z mans, they seem to do a bit of damage!, I'm hoping to hit middle harbour up this weekend and try and find a Jewie . Good to hear the lived another day keep up the good work

Things are really hotting up in MH! I've always loved my baitfishing but you do get that bit more satisfaction when they're on lure!

nice session tom! were you in the yak or land based?

Landbased mate. Havent used the yak in a few weeks but hopefully soon! Might go for some kings from it :biggrin2:

Things are really hotting up in MH! I've always loved my baitfishing but you do get that bit more satisfaction when they're on lure!

Landbased mate. Havent used the yak in a few weeks but hopefully soon! Might go for some kings from it :biggrin2:

nice! never knew you could fish that close to the net enclosure. every time i try there's people swimming around that area so have to move a bit further up

There are kings in middle harbour but I think they are starting to be fussy already, we had schools of them all around us while we were collecting bait, we sent a yakka back out and it got taken by a big tailor, but there were plenty of kings swimming right up on the surface, weren't interested in the livie, a yakka flick bait, metal lure, anything really. I reckon squid would have been the go but there's no point wasting good squid on rats !!

There are kings in middle harbour but I think they are starting to be fussy already, we had schools of them all around us while we were collecting bait, we sent a yakka back out and it got taken by a big tailor, but there were plenty of kings swimming right up on the surface, weren't interested in the livie, a yakka flick bait, metal lure, anything really. I reckon squid would have been the go but there's no point wasting good squid on rats !!

Yeah its a shame pillies aren't at the top of their "to eat" list. That'd make it a hell of a lot easier! Still, i guess catching the squid for bait is all part of the experience. Anyone know if big kings have entered the harbour yet?