Dusted Again!

erroll

After fishing with Chewie on Friday, a call from my neighbour to get out today was irresistable. We went to the bait grounds only to find some guys there on a big Riv. They said the yakkas were flighty and hard to get. They were spot on and for a while is was just hard work and then we saw why.... a big John Dory was harassing them. We continued to slowly collect bait as the dory's loops took it away from the burley momentarily. We thought that getting rid of this guy would make the bait easier to catch and be a very tasty by catch to boot. So down when a weighted yakka and bingo!

With dinner covered we headed out of the harbour north and tested as many kingie haunts as we could fit in. Donuts all around. Then in 65ft of water and the down riggers at 45 and 35ft, they both go off simultaneously...ZZZZZzzzzzzzzz. We jump to our feet to do battle but all we could do was hold on. I was busted off after 20 secs and my mate was done in another 10 secs. Unstoppable. Winding up what was left of my rig caused a lot of reflection on what I could have done differently and what might have gone wrong?? Now I was fishing 80lb braid on a serious rod and reel with a 100lb wind on, and the full length, all 12ft was chaffed to hell from the reef. Again, I was fishing at 35ft in 65 in total and I jumped out of my chair like I was 20 years younger, but that brute just stripped line off my stella with ridiculous ease. Even if it went straight down, thats 30+ feet of line in the blink of an eye!! Soundly beaten.

My mate was using the same sort of gear and was gutted.

That's three times in the last month I have been smoked. Revenge is going to be sweet.

Get out there and get amongst them.

Cheers

erroll

post-7148-002703900 1352626881_thumb.jpg

Edited by erroll

Bad luck mate, that's serious gear you got and they still reef you. Were the drag locked up? Were you DR-ing with two DRs around LR today? I might of seen you.

Yes mate, we saw you there today. It was like Pitt St there for a while. That bite occurred then nothing for the rest of the day. It certainly got the heart rate going though. Drag wasnt locked but right up there.

Edited by erroll

Unlucky erroll, to be busted off using such serious gear, they would have been seriously huge!

think I saw you you guys as well biggrin2.gif all we managed were a sh!tload of pickers stealing our squid, and nothing touched the yakka.

just wondering, how many kilo's of drag do you set it on?

How was it out there weather wise. I was seriously contemplating going down to longy but we had a newcomer onboard. Wouldn't want to get him sick the first time on a boat ;)

It was sloppy closer in but was manageable. The wind did not die down as expected though which was annoying so going home against the chop was bumpy. Still a great day.

Unlucky erroll, to be busted off using such serious gear, they would have been seriously huge!

think I saw you you guys as well biggrin2.gif all we managed were a sh!tload of pickers stealing our squid, and nothing touched the yakka.

just wondering, how many kilo's of drag do you set it on?

Say hello next time mate. I was using about 10kgs. Cheers

Any action is good action albeit 20 secs worth.:) Did you try to drag them with the boat?

Were the takes on yakkas or squid?

We got into 4 rats on squid.

Both on yakkas. We lucked out on collecting squid. Didn't have time to drive the boat out, maybe Ill do that next time. Thanks.

Say hello next time mate. I was using about 10kgs. Cheers

I only know it was you now after your post :) will do next time.

10kg hmmm... Don't think that's enough, especially for the really big ones. I preset the saltiga to 15kg, they manage to take a bit of line but not much. I use an electronic scale, stick the rod into the holder and pull line out until I see a reading of at least 15kg's.

I only know it was you now after your post :) will do next time.

10kg hmmm... Don't think that's enough, especially for the really big ones. I preset the saltiga to 15kg, they manage to take a bit of line but not much. I use an electronic scale, stick the rod into the holder and pull line out until I see a reading of at least 15kg's.

Sound advice, will crank it up. Cheers

Nice John Dory

Chewie and i went out on monday, went all the way to long reef for zip, then the wind picked up and we headed back to

the harbour , hooked onto a large tailor on very light gear who spat my halco gold back into chewies lap and that was it

Nothing, very unpleasant in that norhterly. You should get that disc by today.

Enjoy Andre ( dredog)

Nice John Dory

Chewie and i went out on monday, went all the way to long reef for zip, then the wind picked up and we headed back to

the harbour , hooked onto a large tailor on very light gear who spat my halco gold back into chewies lap and that was it

Nothing, very unpleasant in that norhterly. You should get that disc by today.

Enjoy Andre ( dredog)

Thanks mate. Received the disk. Great quality shots of the gemmies and the seagar video is a riot. Let's get back out there soon. Cheers