Progress!

Guest Jocool

Let me apolagise from the outset for what will be a long post, and will possibly be done over 2 threads!

Seeing as I have delved into the dark world of politics for the betterment of our fisheries and amenities, I see it as only fair that I appraise all you guys with what is going on. Some may not be interested, but I am sure there are a few of you that will be! I have spoken with the Chairman of The Fishing Party, and he has OK`ed the release of the following information.

As you guys know, I have put my hand up to enter the world of politics. For better or for worse I am going to give this the best I got!

Some of you will know that I was invited to a meeting between The Fishing Party, and Ian Macdonald the Fisheries...or DPI Minister. This meeting was atttended by Bob Smith, founder and chairman of The Fishing Party, Paul Henelly who is the environmental advisor and econimist. He is also a candidate for the Myall Lakes Electorate. Victor Cheng, who is a candidate in the Wentworth electorate alongside the clowns Turnbull and King. And finally on our side of the table was David Hitchcock who is our Party Agent.

On the other side of the table was Ian Macdonald, DPI Minister. Mr Macdonald had to staffers with him, whom I must say were very helppful. There was also a gent by the name of Luke Foley, Ass. Gen. Sec. of the ALP NSW branch.

Below you will find the list of demands that we gave to Ian Macdonald, Minister of the DPI. I also have another page which is relavent to Myall Lakes. I will post that on a seperate thread.

THE FISHING PARTY Federal Election matters for discussion with major Parties

i) The Fishing Party wishes to obtain proper and sufficient funding on a Federal and State basis for all institutions to manage their departments and affairs in such a manner that the introduction of extra taxes and fees need not be implemented and burdened on everyday Australians. As fishing is our main party base at this stage of development we require the following points addressed:

ii) The current discriminating Recreational Fishing License be abandoned and replaced with at least the same amount of funds that it raises through sales. TFP is asking that this funding be allocated from already collected GST that is derived from recreation fishing and it’s associated tax-paying industries. It is estimated and supported by government released figures that $300 million is shared from this national windfall between the states. NSW gets approx 28% share that equates to $84 million. A $10 million allocation injected into recreational fishing under similar circumstances as the current trust system but overseen by democratically elected recreational representatives from this funding (tax share) is not unreasonable, especially if there is some matching funding from the public (fish-buying and increasing demanding) sector. > expand verbally in debate, committees etc

iii) TFP requires that recreational fishing not be denied access to fishing grounds unless proven scientific evidence supports total closure and in that case all other activities are to be ceased. Total closures are to be reviewed within each five-year timeframe by established and acceptable terms of reference. Marine and National Park recreational closures made in the last eight years by the NSW government are to be overturned and re-consultation commence, starting with the current Byron Bay recreation closures followed by Jervis Bay and Manly’s Cabbage Tree Bay/North Harbour and no new closures. > expand verbally

iv) TFP requires that no coastal sand extracting leases be granted either onshore or offshore other than grants to continually extract siltation sand masses that are closing of NSW coastal estuary systems from intertidal water exchange. There are many systems that are being denied environmental flow because of either water theft or diversion or from the radical environmentalists. The oyster industry, fish nurseries all need environmental stability for the resource to survive. > expand verbally

v) TFP requires that inshore Beam and Otter trawling be curtailed. This practise is the most damaging unsustainable fishing method in existence and is responsible for the mass slaughter of juvenile marine species. TFP also requires that both the federal government and NSW state government ban the introduction of super trawlers and specifically the Irish trawler ‘Veronica’ on it’s way to Australian waters. TFP requires the federal government and the NSW government to curtail the aquaculture industries that rely on the destruction of other marine species for food to feed the penned marine resource. > expand verbally

vi) TFP requires government commitment to address water quality problems and especially the Hawkesbury River system and catchment. TFP requires that inefficient sewerage and water treatment be given priority funding now before these systems become beyond environmental repair. Alternate sewerage waste disposal be developed and cease deep-sea outfalls as an out of sight out of mind band-aid solution to our human problem. TFP requires the formation of a Coastal Lakes and Estuary Commission given proper funding and authority to oversee and manage these waterways. > expand verbally

vii) TFP requires that government legislation be introduced to restrict the importation of inferior seafood and produce that denies the Australian public access to local produce and which causes major concern of disease spreading. > expand verbally

Bear in mind that this is a copy of the paperwork that we used in the meeting as a cue card system.

As you can see, this is not an arty farty list that The Fishing Party has made up. It is a genuine list of demands that we make on behalf of all rereational fisherman. You can see that The Fishing Party is on your side!

Any comments would be welcomed.