Okuma Salina 3 - 10000 feedback

lostproperty

As per the title, had a look at these in a tackle shop today. They feel like a good reel and I like the idea of the lifetime warranty which is a really good peace of mind.

Will be using it for jigging an live baiting kings so the lower gear ratio is the one I'd look at.

The rods I will be matching it up with are

7ft 10-15 kg fiberglass & 5'6 6-12kg fiberglass for jigging (I know lighter weight rating but it'll be fine)

Will most likely run a bit of mono backing and 30kg braid UNLESS someone can advise me otherwise?

If I run 50LB braid (max drag is 24kg for this reel) will my line class be too strong for my Rods I am using? Or would I be safer running 30lb braid ? I don't really understand fully how the rod ratings effect the setup of the rods

And also feedback on okuma owners too please as they seem good value for money.

Not too keen on the stradic 8000 and saragossa is still in consideration if I don't go for the okuma

Sounds good man.

I'm a fan of the Salina 2 so the 3 must be even better.

Your rods and everything are fine.

To give you and indication on the rod ratings etc... I run a Shimano Baitrunner 4000 with 30lb fins braid on a 6-10kg rod. It's a little overkill for a 4000 size reel but i'm going after jews and the odd king with it so couldn't really go lighter. It line rating is much less than this but no problems so far!

Cheers, Tom

Sweet Tom, just what I need to hear. I had a feeling it's generally ok to go over on the line class, but I didn't want to find out if it won't work by snapping the rod with the drag locked up on 50lb braid with a kingy making full steam for the bottom haha !

Apparently the salina 3's are even better than the 2's and even though I don't like the colours (my new rods are black with green on them) I can put up with miss matched colours if it means good fish !

What model have you got in ur salina 2?

Sweet Tom, just what I need to hear. I had a feeling it's generally ok to go over on the line class, but I didn't want to find out if it won't work by snapping the rod with the drag locked up on 50lb braid with a kingy making full steam for the bottom haha !

Apparently the salina 3's are even better than the 2's and even though I don't like the colours (my new rods are black with green on them) I can put up with miss matched colours if it means good fish !

What model have you got in ur salina 2?

I haven't got the salina 2 but used a mates 10000 and it was great. Really tough, quality reel. I'll probably pick up a salina 2 10000 in the next week or two since they've gone down in price with the new one released.

Yeah your line classes should be sweet.

I'm a bit petty like you. I'm switching my baitrunner d 8000 from a silstar crystal blue jig stik to a live fibre and putting the salina on the jig stik. Mainly because i don't like the match of colours with the jig stik and baitrunner.

Cheers, Tom

• 4 weeks later...

hey mate,

i've got the Salina 2 10000 which I use occasionally from the boat for livebaiting and predominantly for chasing jewies off the breakwall. I've got 80lb rovex viros braid on it (mainly for a bit of extra abrasion resistance off the wall) and it puts out tonnes of pressure. Easily knocked over jew to 13kg and managed to get an estimated 8ft nurse shark boatside from 30m of water.

I love the reel and the lifetime garuntee provides peace of mind.

The main reason i'm posting is that I've just seen an online tackle shop in Adelaide has the Salina 3's at about $100 discount at the moment. I just ordered the SA3 5000 for $159. I hope it's not a glitch in their system!!!

******confirmed- ray and ... have the salina SA3 10000 for $169. get it!

Cheers

tom

Edited by fisheyes85

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ended up getting the tackleshop to price match against online, very happy now just need to get line for it, I want 50LB wa thinking maybe Fins braid in green? Or maybe powerpro super slick in marine blue, the fins I have on my sienna is pretty nice to fish with, both about the same price as well?