Downrigging

duckegg

Boys,

I have a downrigger on my boat that is located in the back corner via a hull mounted bracket ie. not via a rod holder. I dont trust the rod holder that is part of the downrigger setup so the rod goes in the rod holder. I have a boston whaler so the outboards protrude a fair way out from the back of the boat.

Question - should i avoid turning too hard angling the downrigger line near the motors as im paranoid getting the cable wrapped around the prop. At times if i turn one way the cable seems to get mighty close to the outboard. Thoughts?

Question 2 - I tend to avoid the 'rigger' if i am in less than 15 metres. I tend to run a big barrel sinker and troll at 2kts. Seems to get down to the required depth and has worked to date and involves heaps less mucking around. Thoughts?

Duckegg

Guest Aussie007

mount it so the boom is pointing out to the side this is how i have mine much better it gives more clearance from the engine and remember to go as slow as possible but still be moving forward

Guest Aussie007

dont be scared to chuck a bucket or sea anchor out behind your boat to slow it down while downrigging u want the boat to go really slow

• 1 month later...

Thank you everyone for information in this discussion, i just purchased a scotty down-rigger and did not know that you should trawl the live baits as slow as possible

I have read that the bait should be about 30-50 feet behind the bomb which I have not tried yet

Im having had trouble with the line popping out of the clip while dropping the bait

Any advice is appreciated

Fishraider website is great, really help to get advice from other raider

Best regards to all