Crook Haven Fishing Report

MatKellet

Hi Raiders,

This is my first report on this awesome website so bare with me.

Me and a mate decided to head down south and wet a line around the Jarvis Bay area on Sunday Night. We were targeting Jewfish as we have been unsuccessful this year in the Harbour.

We arrived at around 7pm on the run in tide got rigged up and threw out an assortments of baits, Butterflied yakka, fillet yakka, and fresh squid pieces. While they were soaking we went to work catching some live yakkas.

All we got for the first 3 hours were eels.....

After about 4 hours the eels stopped biting and we started catching shovel nose sharks (6 in total all released biggest 93cm) ..... slight improvement but still no jewfish!

post-24871-021130300 1353378034_thumb.png

By now we had some livies and baited up our 2 biggest rods and put them to work. Around 1 hour before high tide one of the big rod screams off. My mate was on!!! he was fishing with a Shimano 12000 bait-runner with 30lb braid, 30lb leader 12' rod. So he starts getting stuck into this fish and soon realises that it is alot bigger than first thought, as he had his 12000 reel with as much drag as he could have and its still stripping line off it like the bail arm was open. So it looked like he was in for a long fight......After about 1 hour of getting some line back only to loose twice as much snap!!! my mate falls flat on his arse. With swear words flying the action is all over. So he baits up another livie and back to square one. About 1 hour after the change his rod screams off again but no hook up :-( as the tide really started to run out it all went very quiet and as the sun rose we decided to call it a night.

Really would have liked to see what he had on first because what ever it was, was pulling my mate in before he was getting it anywhere near the shore. Think the reason he lost it was because he was running out of line and tightened the drag just a touch to much.

Time: Night Session

Where: Crook Haven Heads

Tide: Run It

Weather: Overcast Windy

Bait: Live yakka

Edited by Kbags

Unlucky mate, it always hurts when you lose something big. You just never know what it is and not knowing sucks the most I reckon. Was probably a big Jew or Shark.

I find that when chasing Jewies, sharks and rays are a common by-catch.