Super by catch

dadwithnoidea

I had a couple of hours spare this afternoon before school pickups. Grabbed a couple of squid and some prawns and headed up to MH. Threw a squid out on my bigger rod hoping for a jewie or flattie and set up my little spin rod for a prawn. 6lb line, tiny sinker to get my prawn out as it was quite windy and a size 10 long shank. Hoping for some tailor or yakkas to put out as live bait, so using the tiny hook.

First cast got my this little silver darty looking thing. Back it goes into the water and new prawn on my hook, I was peeling them too. Prawn must have been in the water for 10secs and my rod buckles over and line goes screaming off!! A few anxious minutes later and I have a 70cm jew sitting on the bank next to me. The hook was nicely in the corner of his mouth but boy it looked little compared to him.

My first jew!!! wooootttt..I apologise to everyone within a few kilometres as I must have made a lot of noise.

I managed a big flattie as well but got bitten off right the edge...I guess it would have been the same size or so. That was on a livie.

Thank you people of fishraider...I know I wasn't exactly targeting that fish with that rod, but if it wasn't for a few people here I wouldn't have been in the right spot at all

where abouts were you fishing from?

I had a couple of hours spare this afternoon before school pickups. Grabbed a couple of squid and some prawns and headed up to MH. Threw a squid out on my bigger rod hoping for a jewie or flattie and set up my little spin rod for a prawn. 6lb line, tiny sinker to get my prawn out as it was quite windy and a size 10 long shank. Hoping for some tailor or yakkas to put out as live bait, so using the tiny hook.

First cast got my this little silver darty looking thing. Back it goes into the water and new prawn on my hook, I was peeling them too. Prawn must have been in the water for 10secs and my rod buckles over and line goes screaming off!! A few anxious minutes later and I have a 70cm jew sitting on the bank next to me. The hook was nicely in the corner of his mouth but boy it looked little compared to him.

My first jew!!! wooootttt..I apologise to everyone within a few kilometres as I must have made a lot of noise.

I managed a big flattie as well but got bitten off right the edge...I guess it would have been the same size or so. That was on a livie.

Thank you people of fishraider...I know I wasn't exactly targeting that fish with that rod, but if it wasn't for a few people here I wouldn't have been in the right spot at all

It happens often for jews to take a small bait like a prawn, well done and great memories that your son will cherish the rest of his life.

Well done Mat!

Very happy for you. 70cm is a great jew to start off with. What luck to get it on a prawn as well!

I told you the spots needed a bit of time :biggrin2:

Makes me more determined to grab my first of the season :biggrin2:

Congratulations and would've been a fantastic fight!

Any pics?

Cheers, Tom