Decent Session in Newport

joking fish

On Friday afternoon at 4pm my brother and I headed to Newport Arms for our ritual of evening fishing. Armed with gang hooks and pilchards we descended down Queeens Street and made our way to the jetty. Conditions were ok with no wind and a run-out tide. We started fishing and in the first hour and a half we only came up with throw back reds. about 7pm the action picked up. I caught a 35cm Tailor which was bled immediately and put in our bucket. Then my bro caught a 27cm flounder on gang hooks. Strange........... That's not suppose to happen. We had to measure him as I believe now there is a size limit for Flounder of 25cm.

Soon after the greedy Flounder I caught a 43cm Soapie which went back in the brine. There was another angler on the wharf who'd never seen a jewie caught before, needless to say he was humbled and in awe. A few casts later my rod was bent in half and line started peeling off the reel. A war of attrition ensued and as I was fighting my fish my bro said "i'm getting bites," He hooked up and landed his fish while I was still fighting mine it was a 65+ cm Flathead. I was so distracted that my carbon copy of his fish snagged me under the jetty. I was livid! We put his fish back in the water to breed again. All up in about 2.5 hours of fishing we kept a Flounder and a Tailor and let the soapie and the Flathead go. It was a decent session and a fun way to spend a Friday afternoon.

post-16627-027912800 1353802509_thumb.jpg

post-16627-091815400 1353802530_thumb.jpg

post-16627-023408800 1353802554_thumb.jpg

post-16627-037827100 1353802569_thumb.jpg

Nice session there!

With the flounder, theres one obvious explanation to me. Up north when fishing the creeks, the bream are In plague proportions. As soon as the live mullet hits the water, they start picking at it viscously, often removing the head. All this activity attracts a hunting barra or jack and they scoff what's left.

So I'd say a pack of small pinkies and tailor were picking at your bait and this attracted the flounder.

Suppose it could've been a very hungry flounder though!

Cheers, Tom