weight distribution

tasksta

Hi all

I recently bought my first boat, a Quintrex lazeabout with 70hp Johnson.

It is solid as and goes very well but my only gripe is the above deck fuel system.

It is in the centre of the deck and only accomodates a 25L tank.

I have looked at a custom underfloor tank but it is $$$ and the narrow spaced hull ribs mean it will be fairly small anyway.

I'm looking placing a Moeller 68L tank above floor at the rear.

I will be also fitting a transom mounted live tank well of around 40L capacity.

My question is how will the extra 100kg or so at the rear affect the ride of the boat?

Any negative or positive affects to expect from this?

Or will the 70hp make light work of it?

Or am I over reacting?

Thanks in advance.

cheers

Paul

cheers

Paul

Putting that much weight at the rear of the boat will often lead to problems with the boat getting up on the plane also I have seen boats fiding with noise high on the water due to too much weight back.

I would ask Craig form Huett's as I am sure he will be able to provide you with the right information but, personally, I would be very cautious.

It will be more noticable than you would imagine...

I had two mates sitting at the back (about 180KGS in total) and the amount of speed you loose is crazy it forces the back to sit lower and therefore the motor is lower in the water and makes it harder to get up to the optimum height. once they were in the cabin we were up on the plane in no time and the motor had no trouble.

The further up the front you can have your tank the better along with the rest of the weight.

After playing around with weights in different areas it has given me a better idea of ho to distriblute weights on the boat.

I will also be looking at reloacting the two batteries as far to the front as possible now or at least one of them.

If you want to learn about the way it is affected just do what i did grab some mates go out on the water and have them move around so you can see how the boat behaves with weight in different areas. Also most importantly while you are on the water .. Fish never waste and opportunity to wet a line :)

Cheers