Hill 60 24/25

LungFai

Hill 60 produced a bagged out supply of squid on Saturday and Sunday this weekend, preferred color of jig was green but the others were also producing decent results. The hand sized squids started the session off at close to sunset and when it got dark the bigger fellas came out to play.

There were also a plague number of mackerels the size of your forearm for the kids to have a go at. Taken on practically anything you threw into the water, spinners, plastics and squid tentacles on sinker-less long shanks.

Activity usually started at around 6.30pm after a great day in the surf cooling down from the scorching heat.

Tried throwing a squid out on Sunday morning hoping for a kingie but the only offering was a 1.5 meter shark.....caught twice in the space of 30 minutes!! The little fella now looks like a catfish with 2 feelers out of his mouth because i had to cut the leader as i was unable to get him out of the water to remove the hook.

It's starting to shape up to be a good season.

LungFai

P.S. For those who wish to hit Hill60 please be aware that there has been alot of growth of weed on the rock platforms and when wet are extremely slippery, please use caution when fishing there.

Where abouts on hill 60 do you go??

North or south side?

I went last summer but kept getting snagged.

I take it there is a spot with a large ledge and deep water though I never managed to find it...

In saying that I dont venture out there when its a bog swell/tide.

I want to start going out there this summer.

North Side,

There are 3 fishable ledges 2 good ones and 1 that if you have a 9 or 12 foot rod then it is bearable.

Middle ledge has two parts, a high and a low. The high section is closer to where the waves break and creates a nice water spout, you are about 1.5 to 2 meters from water level depending on tide so if you do catch a fish/squid you can either Gaff or lift (I only fish there when i am lazy as it has a nice wedge for my butt and it feels like you are sitting in a chair). Low section of the middle ledge is 0.5 - 1 meter from water level and can get wet depending on swell (currently has weed covering the rocks so is slippery when wet). This is my favourite spot to spin for Bonito/Salmon/Tailor/KingFish or to dangle my feet in the water when the tide is high and the swell is low catching the bi-catches of makerel/yellowtails/trevally/bream/snapper/squid.

Outside ledge is 2-2.5 meters from water level and fits roughly 5-6 people comfortably, more if everyone knows how to fish (patient and understanding when lines tangle). There is a bottom ledge to this section also which is about 0.5-1 meter from water level but can only be used on low swells and by people who keep an eye on the waves. This ledge is the best place for large squids, you'll also catch the other fish mentioned above but the bi-catches are not as frequent (Your Pilchards are safer at this ledge). If squids are what you are after and there are no spots here 100 meters behind there is another rocky point (rocks are pointy and not comfortable to sit on) where squids are in abundance and you get chances at the bonitos and salmon. It faces the same direction but has a larger weed patch and you can watch the barreling surf while you flick you squid jig about. The Thump Thump sound is pretty soothing.

Inner ledge is the 9-12 foot rod area where i don't fish as i only sport 7-8 foot rods, you'll catch the bonitos and salmon here on good days but due to it being 3-4 meters from water level i tend to ignore it.

If you do go down to Hill60 and don't understand what i mean by inner/middle/outer then look for the life bouy...if it is behind you then you are at the middle ledge :biggrin2:

Regards

Trung

Ohh forgot to mention that it is a south facing fishing spot so if you have that dreaded southerly then best to head to Bass Point.

Edited by LungFai

I was down that way a couple of weeks ago with my BIL and was tempted to head down there for a look (never been there before), instead we opted for Wyndang, which I don't really like for surface fishing, besides I didn't have my rock plates with me.

Can anyone confirm if this location demand rock plates? From what I've read it seems that it does.

North Side,

There are 3 fishable ledges 2 good ones and 1 that if you have a 9 or 12 foot rod then it is bearable.

Middle ledge has two parts, a high and a low. The high section is closer to where the waves break and creates a nice water spout, you are about 1.5 to 2 meters from water level depending on tide so if you do catch a fish/squid you can either Gaff or lift (I only fish there when i am lazy as it has a nice wedge for my butt and it feels like you are sitting in a chair). Low section of the middle ledge is 0.5 - 1 meter from water level and can get wet depending on swell (currently has weed covering the rocks so is slippery when wet). This is my favourite spot to spin for Bonito/Salmon/Tailor/KingFish or to dangle my feet in the water when the tide is high and the swell is low catching the bi-catches of makerel/yellowtails/trevally/bream/snapper/squid.

Outside ledge is 2-2.5 meters from water level and fits roughly 5-6 people comfortably, more if everyone knows how to fish (patient and understanding when lines tangle). There is a bottom ledge to this section also which is about 0.5-1 meter from water level but can only be used on low swells and by people who keep an eye on the waves. This ledge is the best place for large squids, you'll also catch the other fish mentioned above but the bi-catches are not as frequent (Your Pilchards are safer at this ledge). If squids are what you are after and there are no spots here 100 meters behind there is another rocky point (rocks are pointy and not comfortable to sit on) where squids are in abundance and you get chances at the bonitos and salmon. It faces the same direction but has a larger weed patch and you can watch the barreling surf while you flick you squid jig about. The Thump Thump sound is pretty soothing.

Inner ledge is the 9-12 foot rod area where i don't fish as i only sport 7-8 foot rods, you'll catch the bonitos and salmon here on good days but due to it being 3-4 meters from water level i tend to ignore it.

If you do go down to Hill60 and don't understand what i mean by inner/middle/outer then look for the life bouy...if it is behind you then you are at the middle ledge :biggrin2:

Regards

Trung

Ohh forgot to mention that it is a south facing fishing spot so if you have that dreaded southerly then best to head to Bass Point.

Thanks for the info

I appreciate the detailed response.

I only fish on rock areas I really know.

I have been to the rocks on hill 60 but being relatively new I did not want to chance it without watching thoroughly.

I would love to catch all the fish you mentioned and am new to spinning and squidding. I imagine I will see all the good spots on the weekend when the 6000 ppl are there trying to catch fish..

I tend to go nt he week days when off work in late jan /Feb

I was down that way a couple of weeks ago with my BIL and was tempted to head down there for a look (never been there before), instead we opted for Wyndang, which I don't really like for surface fishing, besides I didn't have my rock plates with me.

Can anyone confirm if this location demand rock plates? From what I've read it seems that it does.

The only part you will need rock plates is the middle lower section which has the weeds i have warned about. The other sections is as flat as you can get for a rock ledge (usual cracks and puddle ponds).

The only part you will need rock plates is the middle lower section which has the weeds i have warned about. The other sections is as flat as you can get for a rock ledge (usual cracks and puddle ponds).

Thanks for the info.