Ur Best soft plastic for bream and flathead

Flathead bream

Bream - Gulp Shrimp (Natural)

Flathead - Lobby Pro (Grenade)

Ahaha Paul u definItley love your shrimps in naturals.

U drilled a whole pack today.

My fav bream plastic is keitech 2.8 inch fat shad and 2in pch punknseep gulp grubs

Flathead powerbait swim baits natural color 3 and 4 inch

Edited by A.dawg

The z-man grubz 2.5" in either bloodworm or watermellon red are my favourite for bream and small-medium flatties.

The z-man 4" streakz in baby bass and gulp 4" pumpkinseed minnow are better for the bigger flathead.

Cheers, Tom

For those that have replied, are these nominations for river/lake or have you had success from the beach and rocks with your chosen plastic. Also are you located on the north, central or south coast.

I'm located in the Illawarra and have caught squat on soft plastics besides the occasional pike or sargent baker when fishing over a bit of reef. The last 5 trips were at beaches, rockwalls and harbours for one 15cm flathead. Have tried the 80mm wriggler, 120mm wriggler, 65 black gold fish, 100 silver fox, 3inch minnow grub, riptide 4inch mullet, 13cm kokoda fingerbait etc.

A good example of a typical soft plastics session for me is fishing for 3 hours for zilch. I then wonder if there's any fish down there at all so I wander back to the car, put on boardies and a mask and jump in to see flathead and bream who are obviously not interested in tasting a soft plastic with a hook in it.

So I am wondering, is it me or is it because I'm fishing ocean side...

Also tasksta, what weights are you using for the wrigglers?

(Fyi: Have been fishing with 4lb fireline with 6lb leader)

Edited by Barnzey

1/16 for 80mm With 6lb fc leader

1/8 for 120mm with 14lb fc leader

Always 6lb fireline exceed.

I fish SP's land based mostly narrabeen lake and on the boat mainly hawkeabury and berowra.

Berwra is great as its very flat and quite shallow, loads of structure so easy to find the fish.

Good luck!

A lot of hardbodies have a higher snag potential, it would become an expensive exercise losing a few $20 rattlers...

I think I'll give up on soft plastics and head back to cunjevoi for bream and fillets for flathead. At least I would catch something every now and then...

Slow your retrieve right down and coat the plastics in a scent of some sort. Best way to get bream and flatties during a tough bite...

I've tried the slow retrieves with the only success being the occasional (one every 4 sessions) small flathead about the size of the plastic. I haven't tried many scents, only the s-factor a few times.

Those plastics you mentioned earlier MM, have you had much success fishing beaches and rocks with them?

I've tried the slow retrieves with the only success being the occasional (one every 4 sessions) small flathead about the size of the plastic. I haven't tried many scents, only the s-factor a few times.

Those plastics you mentioned earlier MM, have you had much success fishing beaches and rocks with them?

MM? You mean Z-man? If so, i haven't personally tried them from the beach/rocks but know people who have had success on the salmon and Tailor on the 2.5" grubz and 3.75" Streakz. Typically plastics are a little harder to fush at the beach/rocks but you will pick up some good fish on them. In the estuaries the 2.5" grubz catches everything from bream, flathead, whiting, tailor, salmon, trevs and even the odd jewie. Give them a go!

Hey Tom, I think Barnzey means Mulloway Man (MM).

Don't give up Barnzey, you are certainly at the right place for help!

Thanks guys for the input, interesting reading indeed.

Good luck with it.

Ian

oh :1prop:

Didn't occur to me :biggrin2:

A lot of hardbodies have a higher snag potential, it would become an expensive exercise losing a few $20 rattlers...

I think I'll give up on soft plastics and head back to cunjevoi for bream and fillets for flathead. At least I would catch something every now and then...

I like the small TT blades for Bream. They have a double hook at the back only that faces upward so less snags when you're fishing around structure. They seem to like the dark colours, but my favourite is the purple one.

If you want to target both at the same time 1/12oz head size 1-1/0 hook with a squidgy pro lobby (cut down), 2inch gulp shrimp or if you want to catch anything 80mm bloodworm squidgy wriggler, i dont know a fish they dont catch :1prop: .

Edited by bassboy888