Rod suggestions please

squidboy

I have a shimano jewel rod that tends to have 'sticky' guides when it comes to various braids and reels I throw at it. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a 7 foot 1-3kg rid with an extra fast taper. Need a stiff rod for plastics but prefer a very light rod at the same time. No real budget set, just need something that is practicable

I have a shimano jewel rod that tends to have 'sticky' guides when it comes to various braids and reels I throw at it. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a 7 foot 1-3kg rid with an extra fast taper. Need a stiff rod for plastics but prefer a very light rod at the same time. No real budget set, just need something that is practicable

I also have the jewell. I've had a bit of bad karma with them in the past. Snapping 3 jewells in the space of a year.... Ranging from car incidents to high sticking when netting big fish. I elected not to get another one as breaking 3 of the same rod in a year says something... I do infact have a heavier 4-8kg model of it for jews and rat kings. So far its great.

Depending on your budget, you have many options. The Pflueger Trion is a lovely little rod. Ideally suited to plastics and can come as cheap as $100 if you look in the right places.

Another step up and you have the T-Curve T-Series. These are great rods. You can get them for around $220 but seen them around $200 as well.

These may be a bit pricey compared to the jewell but the Daiwa Sol and Daiwa Black Label Versatile are fantastic. They both go for around the $250 mark but the black label is certainly better.

It really comes down to if you want something to just do the job, or a really quality rod.

The ever faithful Raider series are a great work horse and cheap.

Cheers, Tom

Hi Squidboy, I've actually been searching for a similar rod for some time now, and have narrowed the search down to the new Daiwa MX Ajing 74ULS rod. It's a bit pricey ($430) in Australia, but you can order direct from Japan for under $300. It looks the goods!

This rod is rated 2-5lb, and its 7'1.

Apart from this rod, from the 1-3kg class, the samurai 101 is a good bet. Again a bit pricey, but looks and feels good.

I can afford any rod to $450, I prefer to have one within no problems

If you can find a Berkley BLOOD PYTHON you will be in heaven :biggrin2: top rods for all of your needs

I can afford any rod to $450, I prefer to have one within no problems

In that case I'd go for the Daiwa Black Label Versatile 3-5lb. Top rod and have just ordered one myself after many recommendations and using a mates.

My 3 choices would be....

1- Berkley Venom "Death Adder" or "Blood Python", though the Death Adder feels like a 1-3kg even though it's a 2-4kg

2- Pflueger Patriarch XTR, what can I say, got a couple of these and I cannot fault them.

3- Berkley Dropshot G4, had a play with one of these and was quite impressed with its feel.

On a side note, if you're on a tight budget take a look at the Shakespeare Sling Shot and the Pflueger Trion, both good bang for your $$$.

Check them out at Pure Fishing, our sponsors website CLICK HERE. They support us so why not support them also.

Couldn't tell you off the top of my head but you can call Pure Fishing on 02 4351 7740 or via email on info@purefishing.com.au

They should be able to tell you who has them in store or head you in the right direction, I don't think there's many around though. But if you can, have a play with the Pflueger Patriarch XTR rod, really nice rods at a decent price.