night in roseville

ashisnothereman

Monday night decided to go for a jew fish, didn't have the highest hopes as it's my first attempt and had little guidance except what I have read online.

Managed to get a few live mullets which I sent out on a 10kg out on a two circle hook rig, while I flicked around plastics. Had a few bumps on the rod, half expecting the drag to just take off however there appeared to be swarms of chopper tailor that would bite chunks out of my baits leaving them dead and shredded up.

Having no luck on plastics I switched to fresh banana prawns from coles and managed to catch a few yakkas which I sent out.

In the end nothing touched the live baits but managed a nice 32cm bream on unweighted prawn which put up an awesome fight. Fish was released to fight another day.

Ideally the conditions wern't the best for jews from what has been explained to me. As far as I know it is best to work the last of the run out tide on a sunrise/sunset with a waxing or wanning moon? I'd love any advice if people are willing.

Release video

Hope people are getting onto some fish!

Cheers!

post-22929-048295200 1354672831_thumb.jpg

Edited by ashisnothereman

Nice Bream :thumbup:

I've been hammering them at rosie on unweighted prawns lately... By far the most successful technique at the moment. Have had very few sessions in the last few months without a bag of bream with the odd standout of 40cm+.

As for the jews, I haven't got one at rosie since April. I can't say i've been putting in the time and fishing the best tides but they certainly have been tricky. On a dusk tide change, have a livie out near the overhead pipe and you'll be in with a shot. The reason for this is that there's a nice hole near here and the jews come out during slack water a feed around the pipe area...

As for bait, live tailor = #1 bait! Got my jews at roseville on them so certainly best bait for me. Yakkas and mullet are next best. Generally I don't use squid here as i like to "match the hatch". Squid aren't particularly common around roseville which means they may not be the best bait.

If i were you, I'd keep putting in the time, fishing the best tides and you'll get one. Over summer you'll find loads of schoolies up around roseville. Just keep having a livie or two out and fish unweighted prawns in close. I also get some good bream on unweighted chicken strips and mullet fillet.

Keep at it mate!

Hope you get lucky :thumbup:

Cheers, Tom

Well done mate. Been out to Roseville 3 times the past month and I haven't had much luck with any plastics there (between the cable and bridge). Like you, switching to unweighted prawns always seems to do the job for smallish bream and pinkies. Might have to launch the yak out there for better results. :)

Monday night decided to go for a jew fish, didn't have the highest hopes as it's my first attempt and had little guidance except what I have read online.

Managed to get a few live mullets which I sent out on a 10kg out on a two circle hook rig, while I flicked around plastics. Had a few bumps on the rod, half expecting the drag to just take off however there appeared to be swarms of chopper tailor that would bite chunks out of my baits leaving them dead and shredded up.

Having no luck on plastics I switched to fresh banana prawns from coles and managed to catch a few yakkas which I sent out.

In the end nothing touched the live baits but managed a nice 32cm bream on unweighted prawn which put up an awesome fight. Fish was released to fight another day.

Ideally the conditions wern't the best for jews from what has been explained to me. As far as I know it is best to work the last of the run out tide on a sunrise/sunset with a waxing or wanning moon? I'd love any advice if people are willing.

Release video

Hope people are getting onto some fish!

Cheers!

If you don't mind me asking did you catch the yakkas off the actual wharf at Roseville?

Hi Raiders

im planning to go out this friday night with a mate of mine

trying to catch jew fish as i never had any luck with them.

we re planning to fish around cabarita and abbotsford,

could any one advice me would that be a good spot to start or am i no where near them.

thanks raiders

Nice Bream :thumbup:

I've been hammering them at rosie on unweighted prawns lately... By far the most successful technique at the moment. Have had very few sessions in the last few months without a bag of bream with the odd standout of 40cm+.

As for the jews, I haven't got one at rosie since April. I can't say i've been putting in the time and fishing the best tides but they certainly have been tricky. On a dusk tide change, have a livie out near the overhead pipe and you'll be in with a shot. The reason for this is that there's a nice hole near here and the jews come out during slack water a feed around the pipe area...

As for bait, live tailor = #1 bait! Got my jews at roseville on them so certainly best bait for me. Yakkas and mullet are next best. Generally I don't use squid here as i like to "match the hatch". Squid aren't particularly common around roseville which means they may not be the best bait.

If i were you, I'd keep putting in the time, fishing the best tides and you'll get one. Over summer you'll find loads of schoolies up around roseville. Just keep having a livie or two out and fish unweighted prawns in close. I also get some good bream on unweighted chicken strips and mullet fillet.

Keep at it mate!

Hope you get lucky :thumbup:

Cheers, Tom

Thanks for the advice tom. Headed out there again tonight but was slow going, things started to pick up around midnight closer to the tide change and we managed several just under legal bream, yakkas, a pike, tailors and most surprising several squid.

However there were a bunch of idiots who left two fires going and left a ton of rubbish. What can ya do...

If you don't mind me asking did you catch the yakkas off the actual wharf at Roseville?

nope. just anywhere really. burley hard with bread and tuna oil then you can get them on prawn or pretty much anything. need a small hook.

Edited by ashisnothereman

Yeah it's like that sometimes..

I've also been getting plenty of big pike up there lately.

Squid? That's unusual. I very occasionally see them in the shallows but i guess if you're catching them there then they would be a great bait choice.

Keep going with the unweighted prawns. You'll get a few 40cm+ bream sooner or later. I've got 6 over 35cm and 2 over 40cm at rosie in the last month or so. Released them all so theyr'e out there! Make sure you don't burley too hard. Sometimes the bull sharks move in and if you end up hooking a jew they'll probably take it. They're usually under 5' that i have trouble with but i now for a fact that this time of year sees 10' sharks up there... Might be an idea to target them? Would be interesting!

Cheers, Tom

Sometimes the bull sharks move in and if you end up hooking a jew they'll probably take it. They're usually under 5' that i have trouble with but i now for a fact that this time of year sees 10' sharks up there... Might be an idea to target them? Would be interesting!

Cheers, Tom

Makes me wonder about the people who waterski and swim in the harbour up there, only a matter of time before one has a go at someone.

Clearly theres a reason for the net up the far end of the park for people to swim in haha.

Have you caught many bull sharks from the bridge area Tom?

Makes me wonder about the people who waterski and swim in the harbour up there, only a matter of time before one has a go at someone.

Clearly theres a reason for the net up the far end of the park for people to swim in haha.

Have you caught many bull sharks from the bridge area Tom?

I've hooked a few 4-5' bulls on live mullet while fishing for jewfish. I have no doubt that i've hooked bigger. Been bitten off on 50lb Flurocarbon a few times. Apart from sharks there's not a whole lot up there that could bite me off on 50lb... The weight before they bit me off was immense! These big hook ups were at night.

Certainly wouldn't get me swimming around there... There are tigers up there over summer believe it or not. I read it and heard it from a few people but didn't really believe it until i saw one late last year.. Just past the first bend (upstream from the bridge). Scared me shitless! Was on a surf ski!!

Cheers, Tom

Edited by mulloway man

I wouldn't swim up there. The last shark fatality in Sydney happened in Sugar Loaf Bay, half way between the Spit and Roseville Bridges. It was in 1963....but they are still there. Check this......

Edited by josamill

Yeah it's like that sometimes..

I've also been getting plenty of big pike up there lately.

Squid? That's unusual. I very occasionally see them in the shallows but i guess if you're catching them there then they would be a great bait choice.

Keep going with the unweighted prawns. You'll get a few 40cm+ bream sooner or later. I've got 6 over 35cm and 2 over 40cm at rosie in the last month or so. Released them all so theyr'e out there! Make sure you don't burley too hard. Sometimes the bull sharks move in and if you end up hooking a jew they'll probably take it. They're usually under 5' that i have trouble with but i now for a fact that this time of year sees 10' sharks up there... Might be an idea to target them? Would be interesting!

Cheers, Tom

there were heaps of squid mate. they would follow our baits in and hover around in the shallows, attacking anything near them. the water was ridiculously warm which may have contributed. would have been around mid 20's.

10' bull sharks would require some really serious gear haha. seen vids online of people getting smoked by those mega game overhead reels that our about the size of your head!