Empty Hawksbury

yelloc

Recon I've been across broken bay over 40 times,yet to see a dolphin there ,went to port Stephens few weeks ago saw four pods in one day,love to know what's going on.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Scoot around the corner in to pittwater, I usually launch in the hawkesbury and head straight to the basin etc and fish around there then work my way back around west head and flint and steel back to the ramp, as soon as I get back in to the hawkesbury the bites usually stop lol.

The recurring theme of Pittwater/Hawkesbury versus Sydney Harbour and Botany Bay. Commercial fishing versus non-commercial fishing. Bottom line for me is I live Northern Beaches so with 3 kids and limited time, I only have one realistic estuary option. Last Summer we caught 3 flathead over 70cm at Mackeral Beach including one at 92cm. Lots of salmon and bonito, and some solid bream. But.....many a trip with nothing to show. Reckon if I lived further west or south, I'd be hitting the harbour or the Bay. Also, big dolphin pod in Pittwater 4 weeks ago.....up around Scotland Island early morning.

Mate I fish the Hawkesbury 9 out of 10 times and always catch fish! Every one that whines about the Hawkesbury tells you WHY they don't catch fish in their story. If your going to keep fishing where the trawlers are sweeping then you will end up with nothing. Why is it that everyone fishes Juno, the vines, bar point, , Patonga etc

when these are the top of the hit list for the pros. I fished these spots in the 60's and 70's and they where very productive and yes there were trawlers working the system then but no where near the amount of nets being dragged around as today. My advice to anyone thinking of fishing the Hawkesbury is to stop reading where to fish in the Hawkesbury

( every map I have seen over the last decade is reproduced in the main from the ones printed in the 60's and 70's ) and go find where the fish are now not where they where when your father was a young bloke!

Now for Sydney Harbour, everyone is going on about how good it is now the pros are out!

Why is it when I lived at Bondi and fished Sydney Harbour in the 60's and 70's and there where trawlers everywhere we caught more fish then than now?

Maybe it's the pollution that hit the harbour during the 80 to 2000 years and not the trawlers. Since the water improvement in the Harbour the fish are returning and that happened not because of trawlers being shut out but because someone in government finally had enough backbone to stop big industry pumping toxins into the system.

And yes they where doing it before the 80's but not on such a scale as later. Fishing off Rosebay wharf ( which extended 5 times further out then it does now ) on a good day you could see the bottom. You would be lucky to see 1m down even now.

Regards Jeff

Edited by Day's Fishin

Mate I fish the Hawkesbury 9 out of 10 times and always catch fish! Every one that whines about the Hawkesbury tells you WHY they don't catch fish in their story. If your going to keep fishing where the trawlers are sweeping then you will end up with nothing. Why is it that everyone fishes Juno, the vines, bar point, , Patonga etc

when these are the top of the hit list for the pros. I fished these spots in the 60's and 70's and they where very productive and yes there were trawlers working the system then but no where near the amount of nets being dragged around as today. My advice to anyone thinking of fishing the Hawkesbury is to stop reading where to fish in the Hawkesbury

( every map I have seen over the last decade is reproduced in the main from the ones printed in the 60's and 70's ) and go find where the fish are now not where they where when your father was a young bloke!

Now for Sydney Harbour, everyone is going on about how good it is now the pros are out!

Why is it when I lived at Bondi and fished Sydney Harbour in the 60's and 70's and there where trawlers everywhere we caught more fish then than now?

Maybe it's the pollution that hit the harbour during the 80 to 2000 years and not the trawlers. Since the water improvement in the Harbour the fish are returning and that happened not because of trawlers being shut out but because someone in government finally had enough backbone to stop big industry pumping toxins into the system.

And yes they where doing it before the 80's but not on such a scale as later. Fishing off Rosebay wharf ( which extended 5 times further out then it does now ) on a good day you could see the bottom. You would be lucky to see 1m down even now.

Regards Jeff

One hundred percent agreed! When you fish where everyone else is it she's not mean its the best place to fish! It means your fishing where everyone else is!! Fish the system not the fishing reports!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i managed a nice little jewy up near milsons island last night =). alot of throw backs and many hours waiting though

Yeah, I went up for a mid-week fish near good old Juno Pt and kept 7 whiting from 34 - 41cm, and a lone 50cm flathead.

The wind sprung up early and made it difficult to fish . . . but came home with a nice feed anyway.

Recon I've been across broken bay over 40 times,yet to see a dolphin there ,went to port Stephens few weeks ago saw four pods in one day,love to know what's going on.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

when I fished flint and steel while i was staying at patonga in november a lone dolphin cruised past me on the last afternoon that I was there. First time I have ever seen them in the hawkesbury.- also jeff -(Days fishin) I dont think the kingies were anywhere near as plentiful then as they are now in sydney harbour since the trawlers disappeared. ( just my opinion), however I totally agree with your assumption of the hawkesbury I stopped fishing bar point 15yrs ago for exactly the reasons you talked about but I have caught plenty of quality fish since at lesser known spots. - the fish are still there in my opinion.

pete

Edited by tide'n'knots

Broken bay, any live bait. Spencer The Wall, live nippers or fresh Hawkesbury prawns peeled for good bream, school jew and flathead. Oyster leases around Bar island and Berowra creek use soft plastics for some great bream and big lizards. Where are you planning on launching maybe I can point you to a couple of spots.

Regards Jeff

If they still sell the crap like last year when one of the boy's stoped there because he left his bait sitting on the kitchen bench for his mother to spit the dummy over :ranting2: when she got up then I wouldn't bother wasting my money. Get some bait from one of the tackle/bait stores the day before you go and give yourself a chance at seducing a nice feed onto the houseboat. Good luck Jeff.

Edited by Day's Fishin