Pittwater Advice

rasskl

Hi All,

I have been reading up on the forum about fishing in Pittwater area and was wondering if anyone can help me with some tips.

Most of the info is a little old so any recent info would be great.

I will be fishing off a boat ( bait & lures )and looking at getting there quite early.

Cheers, Dom

Pittwater isn't as good as it used to be. However, there are still some good fish in there. The kings haven't moved in yet it seems but if your after bream, flatties and tailor/salmon then there are some good spots.

Grab some yakkas from West head. Try and get the yakkas here either before 8am or late afternoon because during the middle of the day sweep are in plague proportions. Drifting around 50-70m off west head produces a good feed of medium sized flatties.

Stokes pt is my no 1 spot. Bream, flathead, salmon, tailor and the occasional jewfish, kingfish and even legal snapper. Live yakkas fished on the bottom for flathead, salmon and jews. Prawns and squid strips for the others. High tide seems to be better.

The basin has a few fish too. Burley up and fish good baits and you'll find some fish. Live baits are so often the key!

Catch a few squid at west head, inner barrenjoey and Taylor's point.

Good luck!

Cheers, Tom

Hi Mullowayman, how close to the rocks would you need to be in order to catch the squid and yakkas at west head?

Also, to catch the decent sized fish, kingfish, flatheads, bream, etc.... would you need to be out past the heads to catch these? or within the heads? it seems like within is only about 10 meters deep water?

Kings go right up pittwater. Infact, Scotland Island and the clareville moorings are some of the best spots and happen to be well within pittwater. You'll get kings at barrenjoey and west head also.

For the squid there'sma bit of reef/weed in close so as close as possible for the squid, but for the yakkas in about 6-8m of water is good. Normally anchor about 50-70m out from the old pill boxes here.

Pittwater gets over 20m deep at some places. I sounded a hole 22m deep in the middle between carrel bay and the basin. 10m is enough to hold plenty of good kings.

Cheers, Tom

Edited by mulloway man