First Kayak Session - Woolooware Bay

lukemdoyle

After years of catching undersized Bream with bread(can't remember my last keeper), I have been getting some expert advice on the soft plastics from raidar regular Trung

I had the flush rod holders installed last week in the Yak and went to Woolooware Bay. I Trolled past the boats and felt a good bite on the line.... :thumbdown:

post-25236-063114400 1355742078_thumb.jpg

I continued over to the mangroves and started flicking the soft plastics. I lost 3 hooks to good sized fish within a 10minute period. I then moved to the heavier line and on second cast got a PB Flathead...

Approx. 55cm :thumbup:

post-25236-099162100 1355742498_thumb.jpg

Although only 2 fish in a 4 hour period, I will be making some modifications to the kayak and heading back for more this weekend. Any hints on kayak fishing or any recommended spots would be much appreciated.

Luke

Small bucks! Glad you found your way here to the FR forums... great first post and catch in a new area!

I better start charging people (you) for all the advice I hand out .. so that will be 5 bucks thanks!

The 3in gulp shrimp you are currently using is the killer lure at the moment for the Botany flatties. If you are flicking plastic up against the mangroves get yourself some 60mm or 80mm Squidgy bloodworm Wrigglers with a good smear of sex-factor... the bream will be climbing all over them.

I also have some marks I can share with you... but that will be another 5 bucks!

Cheers

Trung / DHYPE!

Well done Luke

I too am a fan of the GULP shrimps :thumbup: ... except when the tailor are around and take chunks out of them without giving anything in return :thumbdown:

There's also a New Kayak Fishing Section that's recently been added.

You could also fish around the bridge, I've caught a few good sized flatties, some pinkies, tailor, bream, octopus and stingrays there in recent weeks but the current can get quite strong so you may need something to steady the yak.

Cheers

Paul

Small bucks! Glad you found your way here to the FR forums... great first post and catch in a new area!

I better start charging people (you) for all the advice I hand out .. so that will be 5 bucks thanks!

The 3in gulp shrimp you are currently using is the killer lure at the moment for the Botany flatties. If you are flicking plastic up against the mangroves get yourself some 60mm or 80mm Squidgy bloodworm Wrigglers with a good smear of sex-factor... the bream will be climbing all over them.

I also have some marks I can share with you... but that will be another 5 bucks!

Cheers

Trung / DHYPE!

LMAO.. Ive got my 5 bucks bro. Im happy to contribute towards the bigger boat, as long as Im allowed in it.

Cheers

Trung / DHYPE!

Thanks big bucks, just bought another paycheck of jigs and plastics. Will try Squidgy this weekend in Sydney then 2 weeks at Newcastle and Glenbawn, will let you know how it goes.

Well done Luke

I too am a fan of the GULP shrimps :thumbup: ... except when the tailor are around and take chunks out of them without giving anything in return :thumbdown:

There's also a New Kayak Fishing Section that's recently been added.

You could also fish around the bridge, I've caught a few good sized flatties, some pinkies, tailor, bream, octopus and stingrays there in recent weeks but the current can get quite strong so you may need something to steady the yak.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul

Thanks heaps for the tips!! I was thinking of fishing the briges, mainly for the view but the fish is a bonus. Will check out the kayak forum also :thumbup:

Thanks again

Luke

Hi Luke

Well done on your session & congrats on getting your yak!! Have you tried Narrabeen Lake yet? Good stuff there, too, flicking around the edges of the islands & shore away from the houses.

If you are planning on trolling - I'd suggest putting an 'insert' (there is a 'downpipe' that fits perfectly) into the flush rod holders (so that about 30cm sticks out.) Cut a notch in it & have that facing forward, so that your reel seat sits in it, anchoring it into the rod holder. It will prevent the rod from spinning round when you get a strike & should prevent your rod from being pulled out if you hit a snag or the rod tip gets caught in a tree.

Gulp are terrific for bream & flatties. I like the 80-100mm Squidgy Fish in Silver Fox for flatties on a fairly large jig head, so it is bouncing on the bottom!

There are lots of yakkers in the Newcastle/Port Stephens areas - if you see any on the water, introduce yourself!!

cheerio & have a great Xmas, yakking & fishing!

Roberta