Disappearing Lizards?

adkel53

I ventured out onto Botany Bay this morning with two mates aboard. Our targets were blue swimmer crabs and lizards. We had the witches hat nets down by about 6.30 and lifted them at 7.30, 45 minutes after low tide. Seven good sized crabs from 11 nets :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: In the meantime we threw various plastics around some of our old favourite locations. Not a touch. Next lift of the nets resulted in only one more crab and a subsequent lift returned zero. It seems that after the tide turns and runs up the crabs disappear. We tried various places around the bay looking for the elusive lizards. Our final tally was one of around 45 cm, a little 30 cm model and one lost halfway in to the boat. After some good sessions earlier in the season they seem to have disappeared from the places I am familiar with.

How are other Raiders faring with the Botany Bay lizards recently?? Secondly, what tidal influences have Raiders experienced with regards to crabbing in the bay.

Cheers and tight lines,

Kel

Hey mate

Dont know if you are aware of the algal boom in botany bay. It was all over the news and was even posted on fishraider.

Shellfish and crustaceans in the bay are currently infected including crabs.

The algae is toxic to humans and can cause you a lot of harm.

I don't know if it has passed or not but personally wouldn't risk it.

http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/news/media-releases/mr-07-Dec-12-botany-bay-algal-bloom-warning/#.UNC0QvFhiSM

This was posted by authorities on the 7th which is about a week ago it's been almost 4 weeks since the algal bloom has occurred.

I would advise disposing the crabs for your own safety.

As for flatties we have been getting plenty I was on the water tonight and managed 3 just before I left at woolooware bay which was the back up plan.and the past week or 2 have been getting them almost every session as a by catch whilst chasing Jews.

Alan

Kel. If it's any comfort we fished outside BB yesterday in various spots from the clifs out to 50 mt , other than loosing gear to the Jackets out wide , the action was very slow with no keepers.

Tried Watts Reef with a good burley trail only to produce a few Yakka. A few drifts across the bay , one small throw back red.

From what I could see , other boats were not doing much better ,so it appears to have been a poor day all round.

Will just have to go back & try again.

Geoff

Hey Kel,

Crabs seem to run with the tide, sort of getting a free ride along the bottom. In my experience you will probably find the crabs have just moved on as the tide turned, as they usually move in schools. My bet would be to try the same area at the same tide next time and you will probably have the same result. If the tide is opposite, (as if the tide was coming in) I would try the opposite end of the bay as that is the way they would be moving.

Personally I have never crabbed Botany Bay but I have many other places and this I have found out over many years of trial and error.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Charmo