Port Stephens spots

Mick54

Taking my son in law (never fished outside) out from port Stephens next week. Any tips for snapper, kingy or trolling spots not too far out, only have 5.5m boat but would love to put him on to something good. i have not fished the area so any help would be appreciated. PM me if you dont want to broadcast to the world

Mick. A lot of the PS area is Marine Park so pick up a map from one of the tackle stores.

If launching from Little Beach read the Council sign in the preperation area , it may save you some $$$

As to locations , areas around Broughton Island have a good reputation for Reds or try the reef area on the Northern side of Little Island.

Trolling South from Tomaree head towards Fingle is worth a try.

Geoff

Live bait squid and slimies either close in to Yacaba head or around cabbage tree... But check for marine parks!!!!!

Mick Check the map as most of the area East of Yacaada head & the area around Cabbage Tree is marine park.

Geoff

Tomaree Head (opposite Yaccaba) is the spot to get your livies. Yakkas, Slimies, Bonito and Squid. As previously said, broughton holds good kings and snapper over the reef with plenty of nice flatties over the gravel patches. The other nearby islands (apart from cabbage tree - marine parks..) have good bonito and striped tuna, with kings in the deeper water around. Best bet is to head over to broughton island, sound around until you find a nice patch of reef with a few fish hanging off it. Burley up (even in water 40m deep burley still works a treat) and bottom bash with a mix of plastics, livebaits and tuna/bonito strips. Its always worth having an unweighted livie out the back or under a float. The odd Spanish mackerel and longtail tuna will come by from time to time...

Good luck!

Cheers, Tom