Deep Sea Bream and Flathead

joking fish

Today was a superb day to be out on the water. A real deep sea fisherman's delight. The breeze was slight and the sun beamed down on a placid sea. We saw some dolphins on the way out and we watched as the revelled in merriment. We experienced some good fishing amongst the 20 or so passangers. There was a mixture of Nanygai, Morwong, Flathead with the odd Sweep, Snapper and Leatherjacket making its way on board. My tally at the end of the day was 2 Morwong, a Marble Flathead and a Tiger Flathead. They say if you're catching Marble Flathead you're on good ground. I also caught a stinky Pike which was released without regret. The Morwong was a new PB for me, it measured 53cm. I was beside myself with elatation as this beat my old PB by a good 10cm. It was also my first Marble Flathead. This adventure was definately worth the money and after a cancelation due to bad weather it was definately worth the wait. If you havn't been deep sea fishing off Sydney do yourself a favour and get amongst it.

(Also sorry for the semi-nude photo, I hope it doesn't offend anyone).

post-16627-070724300 1356243419_thumb.jpg

post-16627-034153300 1356243444_thumb.jpg

Edited by barcod86

Hi All

The easy way to tell marble flathead apart from all others is look for a Fine white line along the edge on all fins.

inc. Pectoral, dorsal, and caudal ( tail ).

These are a beautiful looking species and also tasty with the whitest flesh of all the flathead commonly caught

along the nsw coast.

They are usually caught on deeper inshore reefs over mixed gravel and rock areas.

Commonly between 35 and 50cm but I have caught 1 fish that was over 75cm.

regards

andrew