Another Permatrim question

pauljm

Hi all,

I have a 130 etec on a Haines 560 sf and i am trying to obtain better fuel economy while trolling for pelagics. I currently get about 0.5nm per litre which just aint doing it for me. I have raised the motor to its last hole with little effect although i am still not convinced it is high enough. Motor is throwing a bit of spray sidewards and i will get better footage of av plate while planing next time i am out. At around 3000rpm its kinda half way to being on the plane so while trolling i am constantly on the throttle to try maintain 8 knots or so. i have possibly underpowered my boat but i am still looking for that economy (the whole reason i repowered in the first place). I have been doing lots of searches about engine heights and prop choices and hydrofoils...seems most like the permatrims but is there a way to mount this without drilling holes in my new motor?. The Se300 hydrofoil has a kit to mount it without drilling but does the permatrim? I read in a post on here that they do but cant find any more info on it? I am thinking of trying one of these before experimenting with jacking plates and props etc. Any opinions / suggestions greatly appreciated..Cheers...Paul

Paul I have a Permatrim fited to my boat. Foils , regardless of brand are mainly fitted to provide additional lift onto the plane & maintain the plane at lower rev's.

I can't recall reading any claimes they had a noticable effect on fuel economy.

Are you sure about the comment on Sports being fitted without bolts? These units are under a lot of pressure & thought only bolts would hold them in place.

Suggest a call to Permatrim & ask the question but suspect they only come with bolts.

I'm running a 70 2s on a twin hull & on an average days outing use 1lt / mile however , would have to say on the occusions I troll , the economy noticably drops away , I think it's because the back of the boat is "dogged" down , ie it's the most inefficient position.

A bigger prop may help to give you more bite at lower rev's but this may cause damage to the gearbox.

Suggest a call to site sponser Huey (Craig) he should be able to advise the best options.

Geoff

Hi Geoff thanks for the reply...the SE Sport hydrofoil definitely has a Sports clip (they call it) that i assume comes with bolts but you dont actually drill through the av plate to mount it...i am guessing it clamps on somehow but im not sure....the fact that my boat boggs down as yours does while trolling is the reason i hope a permatrim might help to help the boat plane at lower speeds and therefore improve economy....cheers...Paul