Heaps of kingfish in the hacking

filthmonger

Started out at 5am at water street caught a few squid at Salmon haul and headed to gymea bay to do some trolling. Had a few hits but no hookups and was soon out of bait. Headed over to Jibbon to try for a few squid to no avail. Inspired by a few blokes showing off 4 nice kingys they had caught earlier we headed to Salmon haul and quickly had three more squid in the tank. Shot back to Gymea Bay and had our first Kingy in the boat soon after was only a rat of 60cm. On went another squid on the downrigger and after about 5 mins of trolling bang! massive hit and no stopping this one. Took the 50 pound braid off the reel like it was nothing and after a run of about 70m, ping fish gone. Busted off on the rocky oyster bottom i think. Devastated. Fuel and bait running low we decided to anchor up where we had the last hit. Within 2 minutes we were on again and once again couldnt stop the fish. Busted off on a boat mooring. Bait gone heading home with our egos in check.

New to this kingy fishing and many a valuable lesson was learned about a fish i had definately underestimated! Cant wait to get back out and have another crack!! (Gonna upgrade my leader to 80 pound next time!)

If you run 50LB with say a 70LB leader, you should be able to lock up and skull drag that fish out. If your reel doesn't have the drag power, use your thumb to slow or stop him. Such heavy gear, I wouldn't give that fish a chance to run because of how dirty they are.

Bad luck but at the same time top effort to have some big fish take the baits.