Nice morning on the rocks

stormy

Went out yesterday for a quick fish before it got too hot. On the platform by 6.30am (which is generally the time I get up for a 'normal' session)and had the first fish a few minutes later. It was a glorious morning and the water was just magic. The downs were constant, if a little on the timid side on most takes, but the fish kept coming for me. I noticed that the float would snap under and then pop back up before I could lift the rod, so decided that I knew what was happening. I shortened the depth to just 1m under the float and the hookups were solid. Got 14 fish (well, 13 fish, but the other guys were still fiddling around filleting theirs so when I had finished mine, I tossed in another bait for #14 which was displayed for them to see and then released.) A pelican glided in to land on the rocks beside us and he scored my 42cm fish, which went straight down his neck, still kicking madly. Don't know how he swallowed it. Not a bad few hours, with John scoring 7 fish, Ric 3 and Bob 3. Ric also landed a nice pig in his tally and John had one on which fought madly and unlike any blackfish I had seen. Powerful surges and no headshaking. Reason became clear when it was landed. John had hooked it in the powerplant (tail). I was using the wonderful Daiichi green #6 hooks, which are extremely sharp and result in fewer dropped fish. Kept a few and released the rest.

post-11324-026528400 1357634490_thumb.jpg

post-11324-028926600 1357634763_thumb.jpg

Edited by stormy

Hi Stormy,

Looked like a brilliant session! We're you out the front and using cabbage? BTW how is the garden bed going?

Yes, out the front with cabbage. Tried flies as well but they weren't too interested. Garden bed is great - very productive.